X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Under $900 for the LaRue kit, which includes everything but the stripped lower.

PF has matched receiver sets for $110 right now if you want forged, and they fit really tight.

This first build will probably be a 20" bbl with rifle-length gas system. I want to use it for deer, antelope and predators besides some of the "carbine" training classes. I want to do a top-shelf pistol build in the future but I'm concerned the short barrel, gas system and low weight will result in loud blast, concussion, recoil and quite a handful.
    The muzzle blast isn't bad at all from my 12" Grendel. I was surprised to find that it really doesn't seem any worse than a 16" Grendel, very tame like a low bark. There is a little more muzzle climb, but nothing bad or excessive like a big bore AR. The pistol and SBR Grendels are pleasant to shoot for young adults and up.

I read someone recommend the Stoner magazines, so maybe I'd get some of those. I figure I'll eventually own about 10 for Grendel and I'd like them to be both good and consistent, so I'm open to further advice.
    I prefer CProducts and Elanders over whatever re-branded mags Midway is selling (often ASC with Stoner base plates). ASC mags have been the most problematic for people due to lack of consistent QC, incorrect feed lips, metal burrs inside the mag body, etc.

I'd probably finish the lower with a Magpul STR build kit from PSA, but substitute a Geiselle SSA trigger. I need a safe trigger for training classes, home defense, and contingencies besides hunting. I figure beyond the barrel, the trigger is probably the next most important for precision. I know there are drop-ins and single-stage triggers that could be better for precision work, but I need a good all-purpose trigger.
    Get the LaRue MBT-2S trigger and don't look back. Nothing touches it for the price. With the LaRue kit, you get all-billet and parts that were all meant to work together from under the same roof. The LaRue RAT stock and APEG grip are actually top notch furniture as well. I wish I would have gotten them much earlier than I did. The RAT stock is probably the toughest polymer stock on the market from what I've seen over the years and fits the LaRue 7075 T6 RETs perfectly.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
    X