X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

2 thumbs up. keep the other as a spare bolt for your 556.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

He’s 9.Start him out with a BCA 6.5 Grendel SS barrel upper.20” might work.For $200 delivered,you won’t go wrong.BCA barrels shoot around moa.
      Then when he learns how to shoot,replace the barrel and get a JP bolt.You May need a larger gas block depending on the barrel contour.
      I buy BCA uppers.Sell the barrel,get a match barrel and JP bolt.You can’t buy an upper reciever a 15” mlok handguard and a bolt carrier for $200 which is the price of their whole upper, and it’s all USA parts .

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
        He’s 9.Start him out with a BCA 6.5 Grendel SS barrel upper.20” might work.For $200 delivered,you won’t go wrong.BCA barrels shoot around moa.
        Then when he learns how to shoot,replace the barrel and get a JP bolt.You May need a larger gas block depending on the barrel contour.
        I buy BCA uppers.Sell the barrel,get a match barrel and JP bolt.You can’t buy an upper reciever a 15” mlok handguard and a bolt carrier for $200 which is the price of their whole upper, and it’s all USA parts .
        I'm not trying to be rude but that is some of the worse advice I have ever seen for starting a child off on his shooting life.

Buy him junk and when he is older buy him better, seems kid of backwards too me.

OP get him a midrange to top tier setup with a 16 inch barrel and that will cover all his needs for many, many, many years.

Avoid the BCA products like they have the plague.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          I'm not trying to be rude but that is some of the worse advice I have ever seen for starting a child off on his shooting life.

Buy him junk and when he is older buy him better, seems kid of backwards too me.

OP get him a midrange to top tier setup with a 16 inch barrel and that will cover all his needs for many, many, many years.

Avoid the BCA products like they have the plague.
          And I’m not trying to be rude but I don’t agree with your opinion .
          You know what opinions are like and that’s what I think of yours

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

I'm with A5 here, FL. I get where you are coming from, but OP is obviously going to invest some time and love into this project. My first question is why hamstring it with some mediocre parts? Sure, you'd come in a couple hundred cheaper, but as the old time honored adage goes - you get what you pay for. My advice is similar to Gray's. He's been on Grendel a while, and is more knowledgeable than he lets on. Sound words. You can't go wrong with a good barrel in 16". Good weight, balance, and portability. A good LPVO or red dot will do deer and hogs out to 250 no problem. The red dot if his eyes are decent.

One other thought - have you considered a Howa Mini in Grendel? Last I knew Brownells was having a sale on those actions, a good boyd's stock and you're in business.

Here's what my son's been using along those lines:

Son’s first bolt. by , on Flickr

He was 11 when I put it together for him, but he's been shooting my Grendel for a few years. He put a 5 round group together after we got it sighted in with 5 touching in a 3/4" horizontal group shooting factory Black. The next weekend we were out at a class and he shot the 250 8" plate on command with just a bit of hold over.

Good luck! Like others have said, welcome to the forum, and keep us informed.

Thank you for your service, I pray some solution comes to the challenges you guys are facing so honorably. Really, thank you.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

As having raised a son whom started shooting at the age of 5, the bca 20" is likely going to be a heavy barrel profile as it seems most of their offering are in the heavy range which is going to a boat anchor and feel ungainly for a 9 nine year in most cases. He would likely fair much better with a better barrel than bca offers and somthing in the 16" range and nothing over a medium profile IMO. Finding a value based upper in 16" shouldn't be too big of deal or buy the boat anchor and immediately sell/swap out the barrel, your son won't know better to thank you for your foresight.

Stay safe on border and watch your back!

Comment

• roo_ster
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

bordercop:

Just went through the same deal with my then-12YO daughter, tiny for her age. An AR-15 in 6.5G is about as effective as you can get in a lightweight, light-recoiling package.

Met with great success, write-up & photos here:
                My 12YO daughter and I went on a parent/child axis doe & feral hog hunt organized by ghcof.org on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country run by internationaladventures.us . Both good outfits with guys who are great with the kiddos. Saw no hogs, but a little hog sign. Turns out the county has a local non-profit with ~8

The short of it, hardware-wise...

Rifle:
                Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 16" Incursion Complete Upper Assembly
                Palmetto State Armory Lower Receiver and Parts Kit
                Larue Tactical MBT-2S trigger
                Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 Scope on one-piece Warne mount+rings.
                Limbsaver recoil pad
                Patrol-type 2-point sling to ease toting the rifle at the ready

Would suggest against any bbl with a heavy profile or longer than 16". I am sure there are other 16" ULW bbls from quality bbl makers to be found. Here is a link to it as a discrete component:

1.52lbs. Might be lighter bbls out there or more accurate bbls at the same weight.. I would look. Next 6.5G build will be another lightweight, try to get even lighter without burning money like crazy. I have little need for a high rate of fire and light carries better.

Good luck.
                Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                ----Horace

Comment

• Msalm
                  Warrior
                  • May 2018

Comment

• rebby
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2017

I’ll toss in my $.02 here since I’ve built quite a few Grendels for kids over the last few years. What I’ve learned is that weight is everything and barrel length is always a problem (easier to handle a shorter gun and weight at that end of the gun is double bad when shooting). For those reasons, I always lean toward a pistol build (when/if legal) or a 14.5 with a pinned brake (brakes are always good for kids).

Here is what I put together for my son when he was 5 years old (AR-15 platform pistol);

Lower:
                    - Shockwave Blade (with added sling cup), there are even lighter & more compact options on the market now. Find something that is light and comfortable and go with that. I like the Shockwave because I could “fix” the length to fit my son and he wasn’t going to “bump” it out of adjustment.
                    - AR Gold Trigger tuned at 3.75 lbs, yep, I put a crisp trigger in the gun and adjusted it to be lighter than a “stock” single-stage. I found that a mil-spec trigger was too heavy for him so we played w/the trigger until we found something that worked for him. Blake has always been fantastic about trigger discipline so I wouldn’t have had any concerns going even lighter. YMMV so do what is SAFEST in your situation.
                    - Hogue rubber grip, I grabbed this out of the parts box so I’m not even sure that they still make it. I needed something smaller than a MagPul MAID/MOE and he liked the feel of this one a lot more than a standard A2. Like the trigger/brace, just find something that he’s comfortable holding and can reach the trigger without twisting his wrist.
                    - The rest of the lower was essentially “standard”. To keep it a touch lighter though, I only loaded 4-5 rounds in his magazine though. Over the course of a hunt, even a little bit of weight adds up (on this particular hunt, Blake only needed 1 round anyway. He has a way of making his dad proud, even then).

Upper:
                    - BCM upper, no frills.
                    - Free float tube, I don’t recall exactly what I went with but I do remember it was one of the lightest that I could find at the time, I also went with a shorter tube that I would have used normally (7” instead of 9”). Like the lower, I wanted to cut some weight. There are TONS of options out there right now so I won’t even make a suggestion here (unless you want me to).
                    - 10.5” AA barrel, these were made of unobtainium at the time but, being an AA dealer, I pressed a few buttons and made it happen. If I were going to build him a new one today, I’d stick w/the 10.5” but use one of the group buy Lilja barrels. Full disclosure; I’m running that group buy and will be building Blake a new pistol using one of those barrels once I have all the customer barrels/builds completed and shipped, he’s 9 now so we may use a 12.5” instead of a 10.5” this time around, I’ll leave that up to him.
                    - APA G2 Little Bastard MB, this is one of the best MBs that I’ve used and, despite the fact that it’s a little heavier than others, proved to be a nice benefit to Blake’s build. Anything to reduce recoil is always a win for kids. For this reason you may want an adjustable gas system too (I tuned Blake’s gun the old fashioned way, with springs and buffer weights but adj gas is certainly the better way to go). Back to MBs, a VP6 would be a good option as well and is much lighter. That’s what I’ll be using on his new build.

Optics:
                    - Vortex Venom MRD in a QD mount. Accurate, easy to use and super light weight. What more could you want?
                    - 1.75-6x32mm Leupold VX-3 in a QD mount. I wanted to have various sighting options depending on the task. I had this VX-3 in the safe so we gave it a go. The lower power range and lower (relative) weight turned out to be a winner. Blake’s next gun is getting a Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32mm. A little extra power coupled w/the BDC gives him a little extra range out of a short gun w/out having to think about adjusting turrets (at this point he’s more than capable of adjusting turrets but less to do/think about in the field is always a win - side note, he shoots long range with a S&B PMII Ultra Short 3-20x50mm MRAD w/H59 reticle so twisting turrets isn’t exactly a foreign concept to him, he doesn’t want to carry something like that around all day though either).
                    - MagPul MBUS sights. These come and go, usually with the Venom. He can use them when/if needed. With the reliability of the newer optics (MRDs included), BUIS isn’t totally necessary but it’s important to me that my son knows how to use them anyway.

Extras:
                    - LaRue padded sling, I can easily/quickly adjust this to work for either Blake or myself. QD cups make this an easy on/off as well. If my selected free float tube doesn’t have a QD socket, I find a way to get one attached.
                    - Nothing else really, Blake carries a single mag in the gun, I keep the reloads on me. Now that he’s getting bigger, he’ll probably start carrying a single reload. He’s pretty proficient and very safe when it comes to clearing any possible malfunction and, without a mag on him, this option is out the window. If we’re going to potentially swap out his sights/optics in the field, I’ll carry that with me but generally the “extras” stay in the truck.

The trick w/kids is keep the weight down in whatever way you can. Less recoil is also better since you want them to regularly practice with them and be comfortable shooting. I had nearly identical builds in .22 and .223 that Blake could practice with when he young which helped quite a bit. He needs to be comfortable on the gun though. When I started Blake off shooting the full 6.5 loads, I’d have him work from a Lead Sled the majority of the time. As he’s gotten older, we’ve used the sled quite a bit less.

Good luck and great choice going w/the Grendel. It’s proven to be a winner with younger shooters, at least for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X