• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DreadKnight
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2019

My first AR pistol in Grendel

Greetings Horde, (that's what you lot call yourselves right?)

Building my second AR, and I'm much more involved in the process this time around. Built my last with a 80% lower from Right to Bear, and now I'm game for round 2.

The barrel is a Faxxon Firearms 12" nickel teflon coated barrel (so i can shoot wolf). Got some blemished 80% lowers from RTB and a build-your-own lower parts kits as well. All mil spec according to RTB who have very good reviews. I have Bear Creek Arsenal upper and that's the only part im really worried about. Got it awhile ago on sale.

Im relatively new to firearms and have been soaking up the knowledge on this site for a few months now before making an account. Lots of wise dudes on here. I havent picked out glass yet but im thinking LPVO from either Primary arms or Vortex. This would be for hog hunting, and a truck gun.

What's the word on barrel break ins and how do i check my rifle for any defects, as in where do I look? I'm on a budget but still not interested in cheap parts. So I'm not afraid to sub out things. I want this to be as good as i can make it. Thanks in advance. I only have the upper and I am just waiting on the rest.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

The faxon barrel should be good to go. My 12" shots great. Larue trigger is an upgrade you should consider. Nothing better for the price. Vortex warranty is great. The illumination on the 1-6x strike eagle is allot brighter then the illumination on the 1-8x. I actually returned a 1-8x for warranty work on the illumination but they said that it was working as intended and not as bright as the 1-6x. Some people swear by barrel break ins and some don't. Faxon has their own recommendations on their website.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Should be a good rifle sir.

Be warned the faxon barrel is probably going too shoot groups much bigger then your going to be happy with when shooting the wolf fmj ammo.

Comment

• DreadKnight
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
        The faxon barrel should be good to go. My 12" shots great. Larue trigger is an upgrade you should consider. Nothing better for the price. Vortex warranty is great. The illumination on the 1-6x strike eagle is allot brighter then the illumination on the 1-8x. I actually returned a 1-8x for warranty work on the illumination but they said that it was working as intended and not as bright as the 1-6x. Some people swear by barrel break ins and some don't. Faxon has their own recommendations on their website.
        The strike eagle was what i was looking at. And ill look into the larue trigger, thanks for the suggestion. I got Kak shockwave ar pistol buffer tube kit. Is there a way to know if it can handle the round or is just a shoot and see.

I only plan on shooting for plinking, else i plan to shoot hornady black if my gun likes it

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

DreadNight if you buy the LaRue MBT 2S trigger check out their price on 6.5 Grendel magazines. LT had a good price on E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags. Last two times I ordered an MBT I ordered a couple more 17 round E-Lander mags.

I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 which would probably work pretty well for hog hunting. If you ever plan on using a suppressor on your 12" 6.5 Grendel I'd suggest you use an adjustable gas block or adjustable gas bolt carrier.

Comment

• DreadKnight
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            DreadNight if you buy the LaRue MBT 2S trigger check out their price on 6.5 Grendel magazines. LT had a good price on E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags. Last two times I ordered an MBT I ordered a couple more 17 round E-Lander mags.

I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 which would probably work pretty well for hog hunting. If you ever plan on using a suppressor on your 12" 6.5 Grendel I'd suggest you use an adjustable gas block or adjustable gas bolt carrier.
            Why would an adjustable gas block be necessary? I do plan on eventually getting a suppressor.

Also is it necessary to match a barrel with its correspondening bcg?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DreadKnight View Post
              Why would an adjustable gas block be necessary? I do plan on eventually getting a suppressor.

Also is it necessary to match a barrel with its correspondening bcg?
              When you add a can it increases the backpressure a ton. A adjustable gas system helps tame it back down and run properly again.

As for the barrel/bolt match up. Just make sure you get the bolt that matches your barrels headspace.

If the barrel is called/stamped/sold as type 1 you need a 7.62x39 bolt.

If your barrel is stamped/called/sold as a type 2 you will need the true grendel bolt that has a bolt face depth of .136.

The bcg has nothing to do with anything but holding the bolt and fireing pin.

The group buy bolts sold on this fourm are good to go. So are the AA, Maxuim,JP bolts.

I would avoid the toolcraft and bca complete bcg's being sold.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Shiftyk5
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2019

Why would one avoid the Toolcraft bcgs for 6.5 grendel. Reason I ask is I just bought one....

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Shiftyk5 View Post
                  Why would one avoid the Toolcraft bcgs for 6.5 grendel. Reason I ask is I just bought one....
                  They were known too have made some that the bolt length was not up to spec. And because of that it used a shorter fireing pin.

Can cause problems if it somehow gets mixed up during cleaning. Several threads on here over the last year are so talking about it.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

What a5 said but to add if you ordered a complete bcg then just don't mix up the firing pins. They work just fine. I have one as well.

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

I own two 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagles.One on a 16” 223 Colt Competition And one on a 16” BO I use for hog hunting.Great scopes.Perfect for hunting.And the price dropped now that the 1-8 SE are out.

Comment

• Shiftyk5
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                        What a5 said but to add if you ordered a complete bcg then just don't mix up the firing pins. They work just fine. I have one as well.
                        Got it.

Comment

• Shiftyk5
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          They were known too have made some that the bolt length was not up to spec. And because of that it used a shorter fireing pin.

Can cause problems if it somehow gets mixed up during cleaning. Several threads on here over the last year are so talking about it.
                          Noted, thanks.

Comment

• DreadKnight
                            Unwashed
                            • Jul 2019

So final build load is as follows

Aero precision upper and handguard FDE
                            80% lower from RTB
                            PSA lower parts kit
                            Monster 12.5 Grendel Barrel
                            Monster bolt inside of a BCA bolt carrier
                            Aero precision gas block and tube
                            VG6 epsilon compensator
                            Magpul MOE grip FDE
                            Magpul BUIS
                            Magpul gen 2 AFG FDE
                            Raptor ambi charging handle (chinese knockoff).
                            Surefire light with pressure pad

This guy shoots super smooth. Ive fired a few Hornaday Black rounds through it at about 40 yrds. Very accurate. Shot a hundred rounds of wolf gold as well. Needs more testing but next to no recoil with the brake, no misfires, clean ejections. Im super pleased with this build so far. I have it properly sighted now so the serious testing can begin.

The knockoff radian raptor charging handle has been doing well so far. I pulled it off a previous build. No expectations but I am pleasently surprised by this 10$ part. Im getting serious mileage out of it through dry firr practice.

The BCA carrier was scrapping the inside of the reciever at first. I assumed because of the FDE cerakote, but after shooting it a bit with some lube, and it is no longer an issue.

If i can figure out how to post pics ill throw it on here.

Comment

Working...
                            X