Black Hole Weaponry or Lothar-Walther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was doing accuracy testing for a certain precision rifle manufacturer, I had a chance to compare LW and Krieger barrels on a daily basis, 3 days per week, 0900-1700. LW can handle a much higher volume than Krieger can, but the Krieger barrels shot better than the LW's. For the price, I would pay for the Krieger. If someone is wanting a polygonal barrel, it seems hard to beat the price of the Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I've seen some LW barrels that would shoot a ragged 4-shot group in the 1/4 MOA region, and then have a flier way out of the cluster for some reason. I heard the same complaint from the Bench Rest crowd with certain calibers like 6mm and 6.5mm, and the one of the ones I saw that did that was a 6mm pipe.

In .338 LM, I could get them to shoot .5 MOA after a few break-in groups, where they would start out at 3 MOA for the first 1-3 groups, then settle into a super tight group. It's just interesting to see some of these things happen with barrels from different makers, since the Krieger barrels would often print a 1/2 MOA group right from the start. This was shooting from a rifle rest, with Lapua factory ammo by the case. Any barrel that didn't shoot got rejected, re-inspected, and either sent back or test-shot by another shooter after being dropped into another rifle chassis.

I am interested to see how the BHW barrels print in the real world.

Comment

The rifle I built with an 18" BHW Bull barrel..

IMG_20120203_161429.jpgIMG_20120203_160317.jpgIMG_20120203_160011.jpgIMG_20120203_161011.jpgIMG_20120202_154522.jpgIMG_20120202_154448.jpg

LRRPF52, Man you sure had a Dream job shooting rifles and testing them all day, and I'm sure it helped your shooting abilities too... I have some pictures of my BHW rifle that I built and the groups were at 100 yards. I loaded these with my old Dillon RL550B that I purchased back around 1990 I was using New Lapua Brass, CCI 450 Magnum Small Rifle Primers, Nosler 120 Grain Ballistic Tips and Hodgdon BL-C-(2) powder and this one I'll be using a lot .
      I finally got the other link to work, thanks to you LRRPF52. :-)

Comment

Sweet pics. That is a nice blaster for sure, and it shoots! How many rounds in that group? Looks like 3, and since you measured extreme edge-to-edge, you have a .6" - .264" group = .336" or 1/3 MOA, which is great.

I had done a lot of grouping exercises under the tutelage of SOTIC instructors from 1st SFG, where they had us pull off our M3A's and use the Palma disc sights on our M24's at 400yds, until we could at least shoot a 1.5 MOA or better group at that range, IIRC. The basics of rifle marksmanship have always been something I am chasing and re-evaluating year-to-year, and I was refreshed to be exposed to LR1955's approach to it from the Sport's Psychology and SOTIC perspectives working together.

Anyway, I need to order a BHW 18" for the next Grendel build, since that is the barrel length I wanted originally anyway.

Comment

LRRPF52,

Thank you for the complement on my rifle build, I sure do like it and it does what I need it to do ;-)
          That is a 3 shot group, 2 on the left (almost through the same hole)and 1 shot to the right. I was shooting some new loads wanting to find the best one with this bullet and powder, and I found the one that I'll be using for this rifle.. I use to love to shoot my AR's with open sights at 300 yards, we would shoot at Milk Jugs filled with water, pumpkins and targets. It was really amazing how well we could do with open sights and it sue was fun too. Now we no longer have access to that property (it's been developed) so now I am limited to the Gun Range at a Wildlife Management Area, and it only goes out to 100 yards but it's better than nothing..
          I have 2 more uppers that I am going to build, but I had surgery on my right hand 2 weeks ago to repair a torn ligament in my finger. They put a pin in my finger, opened up my finger & repaired the ligament, then put my hand in a hard cast to keep me from moving my Middle, Ring & little finger.. The cast covers most of my hand & goes almost to my elbow, so I won't be building my uppers anytime in the next 2 months, Grrrrrrr. I had just got a really nice 24" SS Fluted Bull Barrel by Saber Defense in 6.5 Grendel to build, but it's now on hold.. So is Most of my typing and internet use because of the cast..
          Have a Great day & I'll be back on the forum soon.

Comment

• Retooferab

I built my 6.5 with a BHW 18" barrel threaded and shooting it through my ThunderBeast 30P-1 suppressor and I'm getting under .6 groups with 85, 100, and 120 grain sierras. I'm waiting to get some 123 Amaxes to try but I'm confident they will shoot well in it. The BHW wasn't my first choice on barrels but I took a risk on them as they were on sale for $160 shipped so I bought three of em figuring if I didn't like them I would still be able to get my money back. If the other two work as well as the first one I'll be more than satisfied with them.

Comment

Retooferab,
              You seem to be getting exellant accuracy from your BHW barrel too & I am really happy to hear that because I have a 300 Blackout barrel just like yours headed my way from Black Hole Weaponry. I plan on shooting it suppressed too, so Im really Happy to know it'll be a tack driver.. ;-)

Comment

• Retooferab

Don't want to steal this thread but I've got 300 also. It's a 10.5" barrel mine is a Fireball though. Pm me and we can discuss these or start a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooreal View Post
                  LRRPF52,

Thank you for the complement on my rifle build, I sure do like it and it does what I need it to do ;-)
                  That is a 3 shot group, 2 on the left (almost through the same hole)and 1 shot to the right. I was shooting some new loads wanting to find the best one with this bullet and powder, and I found the one that I'll be using for this rifle.. I use to love to shoot my AR's with open sights at 300 yards, we would shoot at Milk Jugs filled with water, pumpkins and targets. It was really amazing how well we could do with open sights and it sue was fun too. Now we no longer have access to that property (it's been developed) so now I am limited to the Gun Range at a Wildlife Management Area, and it only goes out to 100 yards but it's better than nothing..
                  I have 2 more uppers that I am going to build, but I had surgery on my right hand 2 weeks ago to repair a torn ligament in my finger. They put a pin in my finger, opened up my finger & repaired the ligament, then put my hand in a hard cast to keep me from moving my Middle, Ring & little finger.. The cast covers most of my hand & goes almost to my elbow, so I won't be building my uppers anytime in the next 2 months, Grrrrrrr. I had just got a really nice 24" SS Fluted Bull Barrel by Saber Defense in 6.5 Grendel to build, but it's now on hold.. So is Most of my typing and internet use because of the cast..
                  Have a Great day & I'll be back on the forum soon.
                  I'm spoiled where I live now, since there are miles of desert/mountainous environment to shoot in, with mother nature supplied man-sized rocks made of granite. You get immediate target feedback when you hit rocks, even at distance. I was shooting my wife's AR for fun this past weekend after teaching a CCW/Fighting with Handguns course, and even at 375yds with M193 55gr FMJ's, the dust was kicking up off rocks into the air so that anyone could readily see where you were hitting.

Sorry to hear about your hand. Get well soon. Eat well, and maybe look into some helpful supplements like Glucosamine Condroitin, Joint Formula (no, not that Tennessee whacky tobacky), and hydration with pure water. Eating Jello will help with bones and connective tissue healing, as it's made of animal cartilage.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X