• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Side charge AR15 upper recie

I have always wanted a side charge AR15 upper reciever.Was going to get a BCA setup,but,I never got around to doing it.Sidetracked again!
    I recently swapped out an Aero side charge receiver for a rear charge Aero upper for a gun club acquaintance.One that I installed for him a while back.
    I offered $50,but since I?ve helped him with quite a few builds,he let me have the side charge upper receiver and bolt carrier/charge handle as a gift.
    So,I install my 22? Criterion 6.5 Grendel barrel,which was shooting sub moa groups in the side charge reciever.Anyway,groups opened up quite a bit.
    I asked the guy who gave it to me.He said that was why he went back to his original upper.So,I swapped my barrel back onto my rear charge upper ASAP!It?s shooting sub moa again!
    I am wondering if this reciever has a problem.I could send it back to Aero.I have an AR15 upper lapping tool I run through all uppers before I install barrel.This reciever looked good as any.
    This deal has me a little frustrated.Has anyone experienced this?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
    I have always wanted a side charge AR15 upper reciever.Was going to get a BCA setup,but,I never got around to doing it.Sidetracked again!
    I recently swapped out an Aero side charge receiver for a rear charge Aero upper for a gun club acquaintance.One that I installed for him a while back.
    I offered $50,but since I?ve helped him with quite a few builds,he let me have the side charge upper receiver and bolt carrier/charge handle as a gift.
    So,I install my 22? Criterion 6.5 Grendel barrel,which was shooting sub moa groups in the side charge reciever.Anyway,groups opened up quite a bit.
    I asked the guy who gave it to me.He said that was why he went back to his original upper.So,I swapped my barrel back onto my rear charge upper ASAP!It?s shooting sub moa again!
    I am wondering if this reciever has a problem.I could send it back to Aero.I have an AR15 upper lapping tool I run through all uppers before I install barrel.This reciever looked good as any.
    This deal has me a little frustrated.Has anyone experienced this?
    What's causing the problem more then likely is the charging handle is making contact when under fire. Look around it's raceway for marks where the metal is showing.

I had a sidecharging upper before and plan on anouther for a up coming build. Didn't have any accuracy issues that would make me think it could be something to do with the sidecharger.

I would look real good at the raceway for the charging handle both outside and inside. If it's causing a problem you will see it.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Normal wear.Don’t see anything unusual.

Comment

• BLUE72CAMARO
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2019

Barrel lug bore on the reciever a little big possibly?

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by BLUE72CAMARO View Post
          Barrel lug bore on the reciever a little big possibly?
          I called Aero precision and they told me they will check it out,fix/replace as necessary and send it back free.Just cost me $10+change to send it back.
          I am looking forward to hearing what is wrong.Can’t wait to try it again!

Comment

• pacificpt
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2019

Interesting issue, look forward to what happens after Aero gets it, see what they say.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Aero precision sent me an email today w/USPS tracking #.Said there was an issue with the BC .They fixed it and it is on it’s way back.Fri 8-30 is the ETA.
              Mail arrives @ 3pm.And I intend to install it after work(I quit around 3pm)and test it before dark.I will post the results.I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
              X