• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwrbomb1970
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2019

Upgrading

Going through the 6.5 Grendel AR upgrade phase. Just received my JP enhanced bolt. Going with my standard Nitride carrier for now. Getting a Area419 Hellfire MB-guys are right up the road from me and really cool dudes. Going with a STNGR RPTR 15” hand guard. Think I’m going with either a Criterion 22” barrel or a JP super match 22” barrel. May consider 20”.What say you on the barrels? Figured won’t have any headspace issues with either barrel and the new bolt. Will eventually upgrade my upper...just need to decide a few things on that end. Lower is Anderson Ghost, is just fine with all internal springs and pins upgraded...Rock River Arms 2 stage varmint trigger won’t be replaced as it is outstanding. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any and all input.
  • -del
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

I have a JP Enterprises 18" barrel with a DA Sandman S suppressor attached to its muzzle. Last time I took it out I shot two groups, 7 and 8 round groups, within a dime at approximately 100 yards. Confirmed with two laser range finders, too. My Velocity is approximately 2525fps through my chrono with the suppressor attached. Also it took about 100 rounds to start settling down. It hates wolf 100gr steel case or at least the lot I shot. Maybe I have a bad lot of ammo but it shoots in a 10" radius and I quit shooting wolf due to the waste of money.

My barrel likes black 123gr and 123gr American gunner. American gunner shot the two dime size groups and I was verify my gun for a carbine class I was taking. I used my 12" the the class so I can't report on the 18" during class conditions.

I removed my 12" Faxon Group buy barrel and installed a group buy Lilja 14.5" barrel in the attempt to keep it short, more velocity and have better groups than the Faxon barrel. I plan on suppressing it with a Rugged Razor. They are another option if you want a quality barrel.

The Faxon barrel was probably at 1.25 MOA barrel on average. Yes, I shot sub inch groups but it was not consistent with Black or American Gunner unlike my 18" JP barrel.

I check headspace on all three 6.5 grendel barrels and didn't have any issues on the Go and No go gauges. Both the Lilja and JP came with headspace bolts according to their websites.

Your glass will be important when you are shooting at distance. Buy the best you can afford and look at reviews when you can.

Have fun and enjoy your rifle when you have it together. I wish I could get out more than I do. I neglected my 6.5 this year for other projects.
    Last edited by -del; 09-21-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Pwrbomb1970
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2019

Optics are looking like a Riton RT-S Mod 5 6-24x50. Very impressed with their offerings. Sounds as if the JP barrel works lights out. I do my own reloading, still learning things on that too and won’t use any steel case ammo...just not my thing I guess.
      Last edited by Pwrbomb1970; 09-21-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• -del
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2017

I have sig tango 6 3-18 on my 18" JP rifle. The scope is nice and has really good glass for $649 I paid for it. It is just really heavy. Turrents are nice but wish they were a bit smaller. I glad you have your scope picked out. Building and shooting something you built is pretty cool. Also, I had to heat the receiver on my upper to get the JP barrel to fit. That is a good thing by the way.

Comment

Working...
        X