Just a simple thing I wish manufacturers would do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wandering Kermode
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2019

Just a simple thing I wish manufacturers would do...

Whinging and complaining [on]

With all the fancy logos and everything... I REALLY wish barrel/Gas-blocks etc. came marked with a line for the dead center so it would make alignment that much easier. FAXON!!! Lads, LOVE your barrels (THere's a 16" 5R "Gunner Match" I'm dealing with here today... lovely barrel) but seriously, in the name of smart thinking and clever product distinguishment: put markings (long enough to be seen with the GB on and off) along the center-line of your barrel through the gas-port center-line and up on the shoulder. And gas-blocks, IMO, should just have the bloody line drawn straight up the front across the mouth/gas-tube port.

Sorry for the rant thread, I'm just having one of those days where I'm all thumbs and I don't have my dial calipers or tools to mark the center of a barrel like this outside of a Staedtler drafting pencil and a business card and it occurs to me this would make it SO mice for builders.

Whinging and complaining [off]

Cheers

Blue
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Wotejk gas block is what you seek. Unscrew the alignment screw and look down into the block and watch for the gas port.

When aligned tighten down the screws.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Wandering Kermode, it was one of those days for me too. Glad it’s over tomorrow is a new one!
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Wandering Kermode
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2019

A5Blaster: Good lookin out mate, never head of them but I will be looking into their gas-blocks.

I still maintain that the whole "etched line" at the center of the ports and gas blocks is kind of a no-brainer in terms of a "smart little trick" that at least barrel makers could think of.

rabbiddawg: YEP... I'm officially relaxing and trying to put it behind me now mate. Hope your day goes better tomorrow too.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

My Odin tunable gas block has such a line etched into it, you still have to mark the barrel for tdc. I get where your coming from but it's not to difficult to strike a pencil line on both the block and barrel, I usually pencil a line on both block and barrel in front of and behind the port for two reference points. Prior to that I remove the set screw underneath the gas port and install it upside down to measure the offset from the shoulder as well.

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

A bit of an investment and worth it if you own multiple AR’s, the SLR block alignment drill/dimpling jigs line up off gas port and greatlY simplify this process.

Comment

• Wandering Kermode
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2019

All great info lads and thank you for taking the time to help a new guy like myself struggle through his own ineptitude.

Cheers

Blue.

Comment

• snarkscarbine
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

Odin works does this.

Comment

Working...
                X