• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakegsxr11
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Muzzle flash elimination

I have a 12" pistol that I dislike the muzzle flash on. I cannot see the target after pulling the trigger due to the fireball. I intended to keep this as short as possible so I just used a thread protector but I may need to reconsider. I have used the vg6 gamma 6.8 in the past on my 18" grendel and I like that. Do you think the vg6 300 would eliminate the flash from the sight picture on the 12"? The 300 is shorter than the 6.5 comp so that's why I'm considering that one. I would also consider a good linear compensator if one of those may help. Any experience or advice are welcome. Thanks.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Why not just put a good old cheap a2 flash hider on it?

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

I thought of that, I could and might, but if I'm going to use a muzzle device and extend my barrel 1.5 inches I might as well get the benefit of a compensator if it will still solve the flash issue. That is precisely why I'm asking the question of whether the vg6 gamma or other linear comp will also eliminate the flash in my sight picture. I don't mind the noise of the vg6 and that would be the only drawback of a compensator vs a flash hider that I can think of. I could care less if the flash protrudes out sideways.

Comment

• BCHunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

I had a vg6 epsillon on my 12.5" and switched to a linear comp after one season in the field,...i like the linear comp on the range but haven't field tested it without hearing protection. Don't hunt at night so not concerned with flash at all.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

There are a few compensators that also reduce flash. I have no experience with the VG6 comp. As far as reducing flash the three prong flash hiders are among the best. I have a Phantom flash hider which is more effective than A-2 but the 6.5 Grendel with a A-2 FH still does a good job. My experience with 5.56/223 is the muzzle brakes don’t reduce flash.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

I just had the opportunity to run my 14.5" with a vg 6.5 gamma in the dark and there is certainly more side flash than the A-1 bird cage I had it on previously, not bad but definitely more. The griffin tapered flash comp on my 16" I'd say is certainly less than the gamma but a touch more flash than the A-1. Don't know if the extra 1.5" plays a part in the reduction of the griffin, likely but not much would be my guess.

Comment

• kpswihart
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

I have a Kaw Valley linear comp on my 12" Grendel that I'm fairly happy with. I have not shot it in low light conditions, so I can't comment on your question. I did want to mention that the concussive sensation is a little different than a normal blast sensation. I "feel" the reverb primarily in my chest. Also, I would definitely not recommend shooting without hearing protection. I have typically not worn hearing pro when hunting, but do with my 12" pistol. Just a few thoughts to mull over while researching what you want.
              Last edited by kpswihart; 11-23-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Sinclair
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Midway USA has the VLTOR VC301 (5/8 x 24) and the VC-A2 (1/2 x 28), both less than $50.00. I fired my CZ 527 Varmint outside on a moonless, overcast night on the back side of my house in pitch black darkness and there was no visible flash. Maybe the 25.6 inch barrel made a difference, but I could not see any flash. Perfect for night vision varmint hunting. There is no decernable back blast with a flash supressor as opposed to a muzzle brake.

P.S. The vc301 is an A1 Type and I assume that that the VC-A2 is an A2.
                "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• PVBoom
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
                  Midway USA has the VLTOR VC301 (5/8 x 24) and the VC-A2 (1/2 x 28), both less than $50.00. I fired my CZ 527 Varmint outside on a moonless, overcast night on the back side of my house in pitch black darkness and there was no visible flash. Maybe the 25.6 inch barrel made a difference, but I could not see any flash.
                  Um, yeah. Using a barrel over twice as long as the OP's pistol barrel has something to do with reduced muzzle flash. Its called incomplete powder burn.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                    Um, yeah. Using a barrel over twice as long as the OP's pistol barrel has something to do with reduced muzzle flash. Its called incomplete powder burn.
                    PvBoom, What length barrel are you running?

Comment

• PVBoom
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Running (or will be) 18" (Monster Faxon GB) with a VG6 Gamma on the end. I am debating getting a cage for it.

I am also jonesing for a Walker Defense Nero in 7.62 (once they get those out).

I am debating picking up a Walker Defense Nero in 5.56 for my Kel-Tec PLR-16. Or not given the over push down it will do on short barrels.

I am going to sell the 12.5 inch (Monster Faxon GB) (no enthusiasm for a Grendel pistol build anymore) and trying to get one of Rebby's Lilja 16s.
                      Last edited by PVBoom; 06-25-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2019

I have Wilson Combat Q-Comp muzzle breaks on 4 of my 5 ARs. I works well for both muzzle flash & rise.
                        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                        X