• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyote
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

Seeking Advice

I am looking to add another AR to the vault for hunting purposes mostly. I have 1 RRA in 223/556 that shoots great and I have taken lots of game with. I want another to hunt with but mainly to pass to one of my sons, 2 sons, 2 ARs. I was thinking about a Sig Predator, I can purchase for ? retail through a friend with employee discount. I still want the 223/556 because of my round count and any future Zombie apocalypse. After doing some research the 6.5 has my interest for sure. How much difference can I expect to see real world between the 223 and 6.5? If I go with the Sig then maybe a complete upper from Odin or comparable company in 6.5? I am definitely open to any ideas along these lines.
    I feel like I have the ability to build from scratch and I know that would have a value all its on, I am a farmer and have most of the tools needed. I am the kind of guy who would rather ride my motorcycle than work on it if that makes any since.
    Thanks for any advice given, BTW I just joined the forum to try and educate myself and make a post or two. You all have a nice one going here.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Kyote,

Isn?t this forum great.....

To me there is no comparison between the .223 and the 6.5 G. So much more terminal energy.

I have 2 uppers both built by Oden, they are very accurate

I too would rather ride my motorcycle than work on it but, I am learning how to work on it here.

My very best loads have come strictly from these guys.

A won?t buy a piece of equipment without running it by these boys first.

Shooting the Grendel has been so much fun for me the last 6 months

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
      I am looking to add another AR to the vault for hunting purposes mostly. I have 1 RRA in 223/556 that shoots great and I have taken lots of game with. I want another to hunt with but mainly to pass to one of my sons, 2 sons, 2 ARs. I was thinking about a Sig Predator, I can purchase for ? retail through a friend with employee discount. I still want the 223/556 because of my round count and any future Zombie apocalypse. After doing some research the 6.5 has my interest for sure. How much difference can I expect to see real world between the 223 and 6.5? If I go with the Sig then maybe a complete upper from Odin or comparable company in 6.5? I am definitely open to any ideas along these lines.
      I feel like I have the ability to build from scratch and I know that would have a value all its on, I am a farmer and have most of the tools needed. I am the kind of guy who would rather ride my motorcycle than work on it if that makes any since.
      Thanks for any advice given, BTW I just joined the forum to try and educate myself and make a post or two. You all have a nice one going here.
      Kyote:

From a hunting perspective, the Grendel is a much better choice. Way ahead of anything 5.56.

From a target shooting perspective -- in my opinion both are equal but both will need handloads to perform at their fullest potential.

From a expense standpoint, 5.56 ammo is significantly cheaper than 6.5 Grendel ammo. And, you won't care about losing the brass.

Sounds to me that you want a Grendel anyway and for your purposes, it is a better choice. As for companies to buy a rifle from, look at Precision Firearms first. My opinion.

LR55

Comment

• monkeybutler
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2016

How much are you willing to spend on building an upper?

A standard m4 upper receiver, criterion barrel w/bolt, and an ALG handguard would be my choices for a basic but high quality grendel upper.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

I agree with lr55 unless your willing to shoot steel case ammo which would make the grendel cheaper to shoot.

Comment

• Kyote
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2019

Thinking $1,500ish on build price. Didn't notice on original post the ?, I can get the Predator for about 50% of retail, should leave room for a good upper.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

If I could buy anything SIG for 50%off retail, I wouldn't need to ask permission...

Grendel was originally envisioned as an upgrade to the 5.56 for the purpose of hunting with an AR15. And it delivers. Terminal energy, and wind deflection are the two most important factors when you're wanting to push your envelope. The Grendel delivers in spades in both categories.

Good luck, your sons will be glad for your efforts.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kyote
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2019

Just 1 Sig so far but I like my P365.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

I've got a P26 MK25, and a 716. Love them both, they are absolute wonders of design. They just work. As long as the human component operates correctly...
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Jinkx
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2018

Shameless plug
                    I have a great auto-calculating excel spreadsheet with part #'s, weights, price, origin, etc https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2UUWh_MTeoMhOWlaNnK7uOv8EQ_SZ1a/view?usp=sharing Reference: AR15 Parts Weight Database (thanks Bigs28) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6Qb6kAJjChEJ56qhznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/htmlview#

Waiting for a good day to take her out to the range and test my hand loads. Really fun project and the upper build list would be well within your budget.

Comment

Working...
                    X