• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therealtrikky
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2019

pws forged lower thoughts?

Think I finally have the "itch" to do an actual sbr lower. Problem is I'm really picky & if I'm gonna get a stamp it needs to be a lower I really dig (& dont plan on doing my ad reaper33).

The PWS MK1 MOD 2-M has really caught my attention; dog the look of the flared magwell & the sleek look of the forged lower in comparison to billet. Anyone have any hands on experience with the PWS lowers in general to offer up any good, bad, & ugly on them? As always, thanks for the insight & advice yall!

mk1_mod2_stripped_lower_45__42750.1543204174.jpg
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I've held that exact thing, or one so close it could have been. Not sure if there have been generational changes as so many things these days, but PWS makes some damn fine stuff. How well it did for the guy when he built it out, I couldn't answer. I haven't seen him for a while. I will say I was impressed, and it looked like it was well done. No machining marks remained, the finish was great, radii were all uniform and comfortable. I'd own one, if not for my CMT ambi lower that just keeps growing deeper under my skin. It will be an SBR some day soon.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• therealtrikky
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2019

CMT makes some nice stuff for sure! I'm just a fan of the smooth lines & flare on the magwell & for the price point it's tough to ignore.

Hardest part is going to be tossing it in the safe & not "building it out". Lol

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

For ambiance controls lowers, I like the ADM UIC lower since it has ambi bolt hold and release that can be driven with the firing hand.

Most ambi lowers with bolt release only have release, not hold-open on the right hand side of the receiver.

For a lefty, the AR15 lower is already better accommodating for them as they can just reach up and depress the bottom arm of the bolt catch when retracting the charge handle to the rear. It sucks for right handers because we have to take our firing hand off the grip and our support hand out of position just to lock the bolt back.

UIC Lower Receiver:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

That would be nice, I've always lamented the lack of right handed hold open. I use a BAD lever on my Pistol, works like a champ. I'm just waiting to catch it on a gloved finger or other such nonsense some day and destroy it and scuff my receivers.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• therealtrikky
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2019

I gotta admit, that ADM receiver is pretty dang slick.. I think it's the first one I've looked at that kinda catches my fancy.

Unfortunately with $800 in tractor parts needed for a repair guess my next lower is on hold for a bit. Joys of farm life right? lol

Comment

• PNWTargets
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

Check Grey Ghost Precision for billet or forged receiver. The billet has good a ambi design. I have both billet and forged GGP.

Grey Ghost Precision specializes in combat firearms: AR pattern rifles in 5.56, .300blk, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, the Combat Pistol, as well as Glock 17, 19, and 43 and Sig P320 pistol slides.

Comment

Working...
              X