• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichiganMitten
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2020

Overall length for a pistol build?

I am looking to build an AR pistol. Michigan law says that I have to keep the overall length (muzzle to end of the buffer tube) under 26". With that being said, I am trying to figure out how long a build will be.

For example, if I buy a 12.5" Lilja barrel, and get the MIL standard buffer tube (7.125" L), how long will the end result be?

I know that there are shorter buffer tubes available. I'd just prefer to know before hand what I will need to buy to make this project work.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Too long. My 12" barrelled Grendel with SWA3 brace is over 26"...buffer tube to end of barrel...no flash hider...no brace. I can try to get a better measurement tomorrow if I remember.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Your going to have to go with a 10.5 or 10 inch barrel to get under the 26 inch rule.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Actually most 11.5" barreled uppers should be just short of 26" but at this length it is a bit of gamble as it is cumulation of the parts assembled as I've seen a few guys report their 11.5's fell just a hair over 26". I've assembled several 556 11.5" uppers all were a 1/16-1/8" under 26"oal, measured from the end of the receiver ext to the end of the barrel threads. A 10.5 will easily be less than 26".

Comment

• mtnlvr
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

With my 12" barrel, I'm at 26-3/8" from end of barrel (no muzzle device) to end of SBA3 receiver extension (brace removed).

This aligns with what Lastrites posted.

The SBA3 receiver extension sticks out 6-3/8" from the back of my receiver end plate.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

Are Michigan laws different then atf? The only thing i know about 26" pistols had to do with foregrips.

Comment

• MichiganMitten
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              Are Michigan laws different then atf? The only thing i know about 26" pistols had to do with foregrips.
              Michigan law says that the overall length has to be under 26" to qualify as a pistol. This means I can use my CPL to have this as my truck gun. I've been in contact with the deadfoot.com guys about their 4" buffer tube & brace system.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

My head screams: Don't reduce the buffer tube sir. Call Mark at Precision Firearms and ask him for an 11" Lilja. Problem solved. And you're way better off than taking the special buffertune...

Special buffer systems work, but they take much more time and make diagnosing any future issues doubly difficult. IE - is it X, or the buffer system...?

Sticking with the regular carbine buffer system and just shortening the barrel to meet your local laws better. You're losing 25fps by taking the length hit.
                Last edited by Kswhitetails; 03-07-2020, 09:47 PM.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• MichiganMitten
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                  My head screams: Don't reduce the buffer tube sir. Call Mark at Precision Firearms and ask him for an 11" Lilja. Problem solved. And you're way better off than taking the special buffertune...

Special buffer systems work, but they take much more time and make diagnosing any future issues doubly difficult. IE - is it X, or the buffer system...?

Sticking with the regular carbine buffer system and just shortening the barrel to meet your local laws better. You're losing 25fps by taking the length hit.
                  I did a little math with the numbers that the super mod put up for barrel length vs muzzle fps. I'm looking at losing around 40 fps or a little more per inch. With a 4 inch tube, I gain 2 3/4" compared to the SBA3 carbine length tube (6-3/4). That's over 100 fps gained. Extremely significant.

I'm trying to find reviews of the 4" deadfoot system before I buy. I too don't want an unreliable pistol.

Comment

• Shooterrex
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2019

I get 2450 w/90 gr TNT factory ammo and 2250 w/Hornady black and the American Gunner out of my 12" barrel

Comment

Working...
                    X