• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRain
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2019

Shorty 6.5 Build

Evening everyone!

I recently wrapped up my 6.5 Grendel build that the Mrs. has named "Anastasia", I was looking to replacate the look and feel of an MK12 in a shorter package but deliver better terminal ballistics out to 600 yards. Thus far it's turned out awesome, and I couldn't be happier with the 12.5" GB Lilja barrel from <Rebby>.

Let me know what you think! I'd be happy to answer any questions about the build as well.

TRain
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Looks good sir.

I had mine out to the range yesterday and let me tell you ain't no better feeling when your parked at the bench next too 5 guys banging 6.5 creedmoors and you smoke the 6 inch gong at 600 yards with a pistol grendel and a 1-6 power scope.

Talk about some weird looks get thrown your direction.

Comment

• Redomen
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Great looking build!

Comment

• TRain
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Looks good sir.

I had mine out to the range yesterday and let me tell you ain't no better feeling when your parked at the bench next too 5 guys banging 6.5 creedmoors and you smoke the 6 inch gong at 600 yards with a pistol grendel and a 1-6 power scope.

I'd love to push this pistol out to 600, but the longest range I have within a short drive is 200. That and I'm still figuring out the subtensions on this MOA reticle. Sig has shared a lot of info on the Tango 6 but I can't confirm if the subtensions are the same on my Tango 4

Comment

• tdbru
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

is some kind of BATF tax stamp required with SBRs? is it worth the hassle? none the less, good looking build.
          -tdbru

Comment

• kpswihart
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

If you have a way to measure velocity and can provide info on a few other variables, a ballistic calculating app may be worth exploring. I use StrelokPro, tons of reticles with specific info after your variables are entered.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
              is some kind of BATF tax stamp required with SBRs? is it worth the hassle? none the less, good looking build.
              -tdbru

Comment

• TRain
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2019

Correct, <VASCAR2>. In certain jurisdictions where you can't hunt with a rifle, but can with a pistol, these builds fill the need for additional energy on target.

This particular build has an OAL greater than 26" so it's considered a "firearm" and installing a VFG is permitted. If I'd gone with a 10.5" I'd be using an AFG.

Comment

• TRain
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2019

<kpswihart> I'll have to look into StrelokPro. My biggest issue is that Sig hasn't released the subtension for the FFP reticle on the Tango4, only the Tango6. I'll have to do testing to confirm its the same reticle.

Comment

• TRain
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2019

Reticle attached for reference

Comment

• kpswihart
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

I'm assuming that you have a Tango 4, 1-4x24. StrelokPro has the MOA Milling Reticle available. It will not list subtensions, per se, but will give you the range for your holdovers once you plug your bullet and velocity into the app. For reference, I have a 12" Faxon group buy bbl. Factory 123 SST's have an average muzzle velocity for me of 2225 fps.

Comment

• TRain
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2019

Did some more group verification and tested at 200 yrds. Looks like my biggest issue is maintaining a solid POA at 100 yrds with the particular targets I have. The 200 yrd group is ~0.6 MOA without the flier in the top right, and the group dropped 2.7" from the POA with a 100yrd zero. All in all a great "tactical" build.

Comment

• rebby
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2017

I am loving how these Lilja builds are coming out! Every single one of them has been superb! I have whittling away at my personal Lilja builds and hope to finish up a couple of them in the next week or so (just need to test fire and tune gas so I can install the handguards). I'll get some pics up when that finally happens. I was planning on getting that done last weekend, then I put a nail through my foot, literally!

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          Looks good sir.

That reminds me of a story from my childhood. I was 12 years-old and my dad and I were at the local gun range sighting in our slug guns for deer season on the 50y range. There was another group of 10-12 guys getting their rifles sighted in just down the line on the 100y range (the range is shaped like a V, if you shoot left there is a berm at 50y, shoot right and there is a berm at 100y).

As it's likely apparent from my past posts, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it shouldn't be any secret that when I sight in a gun, any gun, I want it dead on, not just close. We'd just installed a rifled barrel and 3x Weaver on my dad's gun and I was determined to make it a 150y slug gun (that was a LONG shot for a slug back in those days, kind-of still is). I had it shooting ~1" groups at 50y hitting about 2" high which, according to the math, should have put it about an inch low at 100y. Needless to say, I was quite satisfied with myself.

Just as we were finishing up, the aforementioned group on the 100y range decided to make a bet. They each threw $10 in a hat and set up a Pepsi can on the top of a post at the 100y line. They'd each shoot once and whoever hit it would take the lot, they'd go to a "shoot off" if multiple guys hit the can. My dad and I decided to stick around and watch the show. At this point I was sitting on bench behind my dad's gun and just stayed put. They ended up going through the line twice without a single hit before deciding to call it quits and each guy retrieved their $10 and started to pack up their rifles. So my dad says, "Show's over let's pack up and go." I looked at the bench and noticed that I was left with a single slug in the box that I was shooting from. I quickly retrieved it and gave my dad a quick glance and he knew exactly what I was thinking. I tossed the slug into the gun, worked the slide forward, slid the muzzle of gun to right, settled in with the cross hair centered right at the top of can, and started to press the trigger. The range was still hot and racking the shotgun caught the attention of a few in the group and I could hear them laughing about the prospect of a kid hitting the can with a slug, "In his dreams!"

The joke was on them. As soon as I pressed that trigger the can flipped end over and end and hit the ground. My dad overheard one of the guys with a spotting scope down the line comment about how "that d--n kid center punched the f--king thing." I just grinned and started packing my stuff. My dad then says, loud enough for everybody to overhear him, "Have you made your point? Can we go now?" LOL, yeah, I'd made my point.

Comment

• Glockpride
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                            -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                            X