Grendel Bolt Gun minimum overall length for 90gr TNT's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • F224
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2016

Grendel Bolt Gun minimum overall length for 90gr TNT's?

6.5 Grendel Bolt Gun minimum overall length for 90gr TNT's, it will be run with a permanently mounted Suppressor on a Howa Mini heavy barreled bolt gun.

This will be a night predator rifle with either a NV scope or Thermal.

What would be the very shortest you would go? My Creative Arm's outer tube is 9" long and I'd like to keep the rifle as short as possible, max range would be 400 yards.
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

16.5 inches. The .5 extra is in case you ever need to re-crown or thread and a margin of safety for legal purposes. You say it will have a permanently mounted suppressor now but what if you change your mind? (many use one suppressor for multiple firearms to save on money and hassel/time).
    You can always make a rifled barrel shorter, longer is much harder if you want to keep it's entire length rifled.
    That's if my memory is working correctly today!

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

^^^^^^^^^
      Good advice

Comment

• F224
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2016

The Creative Arms suppressors are very innovative so the issue of locking it into a specific barrel is not an issue. The usual outer tube is not serial numbered, but the the removal-able core is. They have a determination from the BATFE that the tube with a protective cap is not a silencer, so I can swap the suppressor core from one firearm to another. I currently run it on an AR15 upper, and swap it out to my other outer tube to place on other rifles/handguns.

That's why I'm thinking a 9 to 11 inch barrel is possible.

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Oh, that's cheating! If you are not concerned that the BATF will change it's mind like on the bump stocks then it's just a matter of keeping it legal.
          So you are gathering information on what the 90 TNT will do up to 400 yards from the vile horde who have pistols with a barrel 9 to 11 inches?
          My guess is it would do just fine.
          Check this forum link out.
          12" Unsuppressed 90gr TNT Federal AE, 91°F: 2702 2681 FTFeed 2670 2642 FTFeed 2654 FTLock on last round Avg: 2670fps Suppressed 90gr TNT 2675 2658 2660 2671 2685 2723 2700 2690 2682 Avg: 2683fps 120gr American Eagle Suppressed, 12" Grendel 2360 2411 2384

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

F224,
            as administrations come and go so does the BATF "interpretations". i am with Lemonaid regarding being conservative. of course it's your call. you'll be giving up a lot of velocity in a 9 to 11 inch tube methinks. if you don't care it doesn't matter.
            -tdbru

Comment

• F224
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
              Oh, that's cheating! If you are not concerned that the BATF will change it's mind like on the bump stocks then it's just a matter of keeping it legal.
              So you are gathering information on what the 90 TNT will do up to 400 yards from the vile horde who have pistols with a barrel 9 to 11 inches?
              My guess is it would do just fine.
              Check this forum link out.
              http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ght=pistol+tnt
              Creative Arms has been doing these setups for about eight years, the ATF view the tube as essentially the same as a NRA High Power shooters sight radius extending bloop tube as extensive testing shows no decrease in sound pressure levels with the serial numbered core removed, thread protector installed compared to an un-suppresses rifle barrel.

I've offered the rifle up for sale in it's stock configuration. It's does not eat much and plan on keeping it, so having it sit in the safe till I have the tube cut and mounted ($125) is not a big deal. Being a bolt gun, gas settings and buffer springs will not be an issue. At 12.5" of barrel, it will not require any modification to my existing factory rifle stock.

Comment

Working...
              X