• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wethepeople
    Warrior
    • Jan 2020

Budget Pistol Build

Want to shave dollars on a new pistol build with the group buy 12" GMMB. Looking for a few suggestions or perhaps better options I may have overlooked. Here's the build list so far.
    PSA SBA4/Magpul MOE Lower, upgraded with Larue MBT-2S FCG.
    BCM blem upper and ambi CH.
    12" Monster barrel and bolt.
    BCM 10" MCMR handguard. Splurged a little.
    APOC Armory gas block, tube and A2 birdcage from AR15 Discounts.
    Bolt carrier to be determined as I will order a Thunder Beast Ultra 5 Ti .30 cal can.
    Should I be looking for an adjustable bolt carrier since the pistol will eventually run suppressed? I have several M16 bolt carriers I can run until I receive the can.
    Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. Jeff
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Wethepeople
      Warrior
      • Jan 2020

Thanks VC2. I was thinking ease of access with a suppressor. I want to use various loads of ammo so quick tunability is my goal. Do you or others have opinions on the RCA adjustable gas key for my application?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I would use a adjustable gas block instead of the adjustable bcg or gas key. Having to open the rifle to adjust gas each time will get old real quick.

Slr and wojetck adjustable gas blocks both have the adjustment screw on the front of the block.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

56A791E0-6A8E-43C7-873D-390279FEAE37.jpeg

Comment

• Wethepeople
            Warrior
            • Jan 2020

Been reading up on AGB's vs. ABC's today. Key points I've taken from that so far.
            Running a suppressor, can make it difficult to access front facing gas adj. screws w/o removing the can. Side facing adj. screws can also be problematic. I will have a 3/4 " gap between the handgaurd (10") and suppressor into which to insert the allen wrench. With a carbine length gas system and considering the length of the AGB, I would need to insert the wrench about 2 1/4" under the handguard to adjust the gas. I suspect I now know why slant style handguards are widely available other than just those who like the athstetics of that style handguard. I don't care for the appearance myself but I'll be spending my time shooting it, not looking at it.

Bootlegs ABC, although pricey, is around the same cost as most mid price BCG's. My understanding is it can be adjusted through the ejection port w/o removing the BCG. If I did have to remove it, not sure that is more a pain than removing a hot can and reinstalling or not. Seems like a wash at best. An adjustable gas key from RCA installed on an existing carrier at around $35 seems a reasonable alternative, particularly if it can be adjusted through the ejection port. I do not know w/o a little more research.

AGB's are more finely tunable for various loads and running both suppressed and unsuppressed, at least compared to the 4 settings on the Bootleg. I think I read the RCA adjustable key uses an adjustment screw and a second locking screw on top of the adjustment screw, which leads me to think it's more finely tunable than the 4 position Bootleg setup.

I'm new to running suppressed or using gas adjustable systems other than the adjustable gas block on a FAL. Thus, trying to figure this out.

I'm only 2 months in on awaiting my first can, a Silencerco Omega, for a 300 BO. That can will be sharing time between three 30 cal rifles and several 5.56 rifles until such time I purchase a dedicated 5.56 can. What I've learned from running the BO, both sub and supersonic, is I don't need an adjustable gas system with a JP silent capture spring setup. Running suppressed may be a different story, but I can still step down 2 spring weights from where I am now successfully cycling sub and supersonic loads. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Meantime, this pistol build is the second 6.5G build of 3 I've started. My hunting deer/elk hunting setup was completed a short time ago. The pistol will be a more versatile truck/range/hog hunting type setup. The third is going to be more a precision range rifle. I'm buying the Thunderbeast to split time between the three and I have too many rifles to be a one can pony.

As you can tell, I could be making the adjustable gas block vs. gas carrier decision on a host of other rifles as my cans arrive over the next 8-18 months. I am focused on this 6.5G pistol build for now. Hoping you guys that have run both the AGB and AGC would point me in the right direction for this build. I'm probably way over thinking this to save a few bucks but appreciate your comments.

Thanks for the offer FLShooter. I think I'll respectfully pass on the PSA.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Wethe,

You can use a ball-head hex tool and the narrow size of the hex means the shaft will flex. You can come at the adjusting grub screw at an angle. For example, SLR rifleworks sells 2mm ball-headed drivers for their AGB.

At the end of every shooting session or even in the middle you can take the suppressor off to do your adjusting. You don't want to leave a suppressor on the end of a barrel after a shooting session anyway as they attract moisture and the salts will corrode the barrel. Suppressed guns get filthy so get ready to appreciate the downside of having one. If you use an AGB you can close off the block to prevent solvents and oil getting into the gas system while cleaning. You can't do that with a normal non-adjustable block, or an adjustable carrier. It's not a deal-breaker but a nice collateral benefit. And with an AGB it pays to close and open your block at the end of every shooting session to prevent carbon from seizing the moving parts. I have no experience with adjustable carriers so cannot suggest one over the other.

I would be cautious about comparing the gas characteristics of 300BO and Grendel. 300BO is woefully undergassed due to the high volume 30cal pipe which drops the pressure as the bullet travels down the pipe rapidly. There's no point in using an adjustable gas on a Blackout because it needs all the gas it can get - it would end up permanently fully open.
              Last edited by Klem; 04-28-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Wethepeople
                Warrior
                • Jan 2020

Klem, thanks for taking the time to respond. You clarified several things I was concerned about. I have plenty of 2mm ball head hex wrenches and can even put a bend to one if need be. I was thinking access could be a pain in the kiester. The heads up on general maintenance and use guidelines for AGB's and suppressors with regard to running those components helps a bunch.

I'm going to order an SLR Rifleworks or Superlative Arms gas block for this pistol. Sometime down the road I'll snag an adj. bolt carrier or key to play with on on another rifle. I will better learn the pros/cons of both gas systems and come to develope a preference for myself.

I have well under $800 in parts for the complete pistol so far, minus AGB, which gives me room for the AGB, pre order of a PA 1x6 ffp ACSS Raptor LVPO and suitable mount. Biggest holdup is waiting for notification from PSA for the lower to be back in stock. Meantime I can get the upper painted, assembled and smooth out feed ramps, etc., where required and run it in on another lower.

Comment

Working...
                X