• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarmerDave
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

First Grendel build!

Decided to start this thread so I can ask questions if they might arise. This will be my first complete build from scratch. The others I've put together, I bought complete uppers, just had to put the lowers together, add buffer tube, etc. This time, it'll be the whole deal from attaching the barrel, to the last screw in the scope mount. Wish me luck!

As I said, I've put together a couple 5.56's, but wanted something different - something to reach out and touch something with a little more punch. For the most part, guns here are tools. We use them on predators, and varmints. Been shooting a Savage 110 chambered in 22-250 for decades, plus a carbine length 5.56 AR that I carry in the truck. Initially thought about going the AR10 route, but stumbled on the 6.5 a while back and it fit the bill. I'll probably always have that M4gery carbine as my cab/truck gun, but want to build this Grendel to go out from 200-500ish yards on coyotes. Big coyotes. We do a little coyote hunting in the winter and they're getting smarter and stand off farther away.

Anyway.....

Still in the phase of gathering pieces, already had an extra complete lower on the shelf, so it's going on... an Aero that already has a trigger and parts installed but planning to swap out the trigger for a Larue 2 stage that I just bought.

Barrels, well that's where things get interesting. Planned to go with an 18" mid weight based on a couple recommendations here, possibly 20". In my research, plans changed. Craddock Precision had a 16" light profile barrel in stock and waiting for a new home! Was this the Grendel Gods smiling on my search? We shall find out. I've read a lot of good things about Craddock, and decided to give them a try. She arrived a couple days ago and I'll start assembly next week, probably. Will use an Aero M4E1 upper. Haven't decided on handguard, but leaning toward the Aero Atlas, who knows?

Craddock 16 grendel.jpg

CP stamp.jpg

I'll update the thread when I get to each step. Feel free to comment, critique, laugh, cry, whatever!
  • Hickory Nut
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2020

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together and shoots. Enjoy the process it is addictive.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Great looking barrel and should fill your roll nicely.

Comment

• FarmerDave
        Bloodstained
        • May 2020

Well fellas, I ran into my first speed-bump. A little help/knowledge is needed? The Craddock barrel is threaded 1/2-28 instead of the typical 5/8-24. I'm looking for a muzzle brake/compensator and am having trouble finding one for a 6.5 with that thread pattern. Any suggestions? If it makes a difference, I do have the ability to bore out an extra 5.56 if that is an option, but would rather use one made for the purpose.

Any out there?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Wha? Lol, go get a 556 version and have it bored to .280? I'm not aware of a 1/2x28 6.5 caliber muzzle device. Maybe research a 30 cal version? You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference... if you can find one. Not the greatest option, but I'm at a loss on this one...

I'm guessing you figured out why this one was in stock...
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• FarmerDave
            Bloodstained
            • May 2020

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            Wha? Lol, go get a 556 version and have it bored to .280? I'm not aware of a 1/2x28 6.5 caliber muzzle device. Maybe research a 30 cal version? You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference... if you can find one. Not the greatest option, but I'm at a loss on this one...

I'm guessing you figured out why this one was in stock...
            HA! I love a good challenge.

30 cal with that thread pattern isn't to be found either. I'll keep looking, but will probably try to find out common ID of a 6.5 muzzle device and bore out something I already have and make it fit.

Or

I found this bushing after I made the original post this morning. Cheaper than paying a machine shop...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

But, but that's cheating!
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Comment

• FarmerDave
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Very well could be, VASCAR2. The barrel was discounted, so either it was a screw-up and I'm now the happy owner of an orphan from a high quality shop, or it was and over-run and there are other poor bastards out there is dealing with the same thing I am.

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by FarmerDave View Post
                    Well fellas, I ran into my first speed-bump. A little help/knowledge is needed? The Craddock barrel is threaded 1/2-28 instead of the typical 5/8-24. I'm looking for a muzzle brake/compensator and am having trouble finding one for a 6.5 with that thread pattern. Any suggestions? If it makes a difference, I do have the ability to bore out an extra 5.56 if that is an option, but would rather use one made for the purpose.

Any out there?
                    Do Not Despair!

I was checking of Precision Armament. They sell a thread converter/adapter

M11 & M41 Severe-Duty™ Muzzle Brakes: Engineered for 1/2-28 or 9/16-24 barrels. Easy install, perfect alignment, superior heat resistance.

M4 Muzzle Thread Adapter Allows Precision Attachment of 5/8-24 Muzzle-Devices to 1/2-28 and 9/16-24 barrels

There is also a shoulderless version:

Upgrade your firearm with Precision Armament M4 Shoulderless Thread Adapter. Superior heat resistance and perfect for muzzle devices.

Comment

• FarmerDave
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2020

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                      Do Not Despair!

I was checking of Precision Armament. They sell a thread converter/adapter

M11 & M41 Severe-Duty™ Muzzle Brakes: Engineered for 1/2-28 or 9/16-24 barrels. Easy install, perfect alignment, superior heat resistance.

M4 Muzzle Thread Adapter Allows Precision Attachment of 5/8-24 Muzzle-Devices to 1/2-28 and 9/16-24 barrels

There is also a shoulderless version:

https://precisionarmament.com/produc...hread-adapter/
                      Great find, PVB. I found the shouldered version at Brownells, but hadn't ordered it yet. The shoulderless version would be better aesthetically, so that's the one I'll go with. Thanks!

Dave

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• FarmerDave
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2020

Build Update

Ok, time to update.

Build is done after some starts and stops due to waiting on parts, life, farming, etc....

Here's the component list:
                          Aero M4E1 stripped Upper
                          Aero Quantum 12" M-LOK handguard
                          Craddock Precision 16" barrel, mid-length gas
                          Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (just in case)
                          VG6 Gamma muzzle brake (not yet installed-forgot to order thread adapter)
                          LaRue CAN SPR QD scope mount
                          Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50 Mil-Dot reticle

Aero M4E1 stripped lower
                          LaRue MBT-2S trigger
                          Huckleberry Arms BCG
                          Radian Raptor SL charging handle
                          Magpul stock and pistol grip

Since the 'range' is in the back pasture, I'll probably shoot it a little tonight to test then work on getting it dialed in over the weekend between hay baling jobs.

20200724_084441 (1280x960).jpg20200724_084429 (1280x960).jpg20200724_084355 (1280x960).jpg20200724_082356 (1280x960).jpg

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2018

Good looking build, I like the combination of components!

Comment

• KZero
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2020

Looks great! Congrats!
                              Kenny

Comment

Working...
                              X