• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

the second build is officially on 28 inch ELR build

specs so far
    custom 1-8T 28inch stainless hbar +2 gas system .936 at the gas block threaded 5/8-24
    titan brake/qd adapter for the 7 inch titanium can
    20inch slim mlok handguard
    .936 micro gas block
    Slick side rear charging billet reciver
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22 X 56 scope
    Luth ar mba-1 buttstock ( may change )

not sure on bcg/buffer combo just yet , im going to try out a few of the options i already have on hand i may opt for a low mass bcg

for now its going on a dpms panther lower receiver till i find one i like

still on the hunt for the lightest trigger i can find

parts should start rolling in sometime next week ill post pics as they come in except for barrel thats 8-10 weeks out
    Last edited by mel; 07-02-2020, 06:42 PM.
  • SDW
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

Well, all I have to say is... neat!

I've read some of your other posts and watched the videos. I'm looking forward to hearing about how it shoots. And how far.

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Ty, lol the wait on the barrel is going to kill me though lol

Comment

• KZero
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Schweet!
        Kenny

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

im still trying to decide if i want a low mass bolt carrier or not or just spend the money elsewhere since i already have a few std bolt bolt carriers though i guess if it doesnt work well with this build i could throw it in my 20 inch rifle

thoughts on a low mass carrier for this ?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mel View Post
            im still trying to decide if i want a low mass bolt carrier or not or just spend the money elsewhere since i already have a few std bolt bolt carriers though i guess if it doesnt work well with this build i could throw it in my 20 inch rifle

If your not going to be useing a adjustable gas block, the low mass bcg is a waist of money.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

though my thoughts are only worth exactly what you paid for them, i think the low mass bolt carriers only work well with an adjustable gas block. i think you want the chamber pressure to drop low enough for the brass to contract off of the chamber walls before you try and extract the case. With a low mass BCG, all else being equal, for the same gas volume & pressure, that extract cycle will start sooner. If too soon this might cause extractor failures, will likely be quite hard on the rims of your cases, and if you don't reload them, then you don't care how bad the cases get beat up I suppose. Also the BCG will have a lot faster cycle rate, unless you tune the gas down or change the buffer mass or other such things, and may be outside the design envelope for BCG cycle speed and may have the bolt going into battery before the round in the magazine get's pushed up to the feed lips of the magazine and your BCG fails to strip a round off the magazine because of too fast a cycle speed.

i think the low mass carriers were a request by the guys shooting the speed matches where fractions of a second in cycling might make a difference on the outcome of a match.

for normal use, I don't see a need for a low mass BCG, but if you have a tuneable gas system and want to give it a try, I don't see that it is a big deal either.

i would proffer that the $ would be better spent, particularly since you already have some bcg's, on more ammo or reloading components for more practice or more hunting. just my opinion though.
              -tdbru

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

its an adjustable gas block i learned that leason when i started running a can lol , i may just stick with what i have for now and see how it does , this rifles going to be pretty dang heavy so it may not even make much of a difference i guess

sad part is it will prolly still weigh less then my ar-10 lol even with the monster of a barrel on it

Comment

• Growler
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

Comment

• mel
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2019

Comment

• PVBoom
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by mel View Post

I am working on another build, I have an AGB, and I am going to try a low(er) mass BCG.

I just ordered one from AIM Surplushttps://aimsurplus.com/light-weight-...carrier-group/
                      8.9 oz - $120
                      AIM LMBCG.jpg

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

more stuff the 3 prong fh is for my 20 inch gren but the adapter is for my new can specifically built for the 28

Comment

• rebby
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2017

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

welp they pushed back my shipping date on my billet upper again so i cancelled it , found another billet upper and just ordered that , hopefully ill have better luck on this one ,

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

if this thing shoots at the velocitys i think it will this should be a really far shooting gun , wont know till september though,

Comment

Working...
                              X