• Dec 2017

Looking for 18" Mid-length precision barrel

Here are the requirements:

1) 18"
    2) mid-length gas
    3) <2lbs weight (must not be heavy)
    4) sub MOA or better
    5) reasonable price (below $600)
    7) 416 steel & 5R (and type II obviously)

any suggestions?
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

this is so far what i found:

you think it can do well below 1 MOA?

any other suggestions? (btw maybe I can drop 416 requirement; not sure)

Comment

• PVBoom
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Call Mark at PF

We will be offering our own line of Cut Rifled 5R Machine Lapped Barrels in Stainless 416R. Starting at 450. Guaranteed to shoot under .5 moa. Available for order immediately and shipping in 6 to 8 weeks. Maybe faster. https://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/pf-brand-cut-rifled-barrels.html Precision Firearms

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

JP makes very good barrels, but I agree with PVBoom above: if you have a budget up to $600, call Mark at Precision Firearms. It may be a couple months wait, but you'll get EXACTLY what you want.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

$600 will get you a Bartlein barrel from Craddock Precision.I think I paid around $575 for mine delivered.Sub MOA from the moment I installed it. Worth every penny.

Comment

• R2BRO
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

ok, interesting, so many options. i guess ill look at all of them and compare weighs now

Comment

• R2BRO
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

OK, the PF is actually expensive lol
              Krieger Barrel 1-8 Twist Stainless Cut Rifled - Built to our specifications. 6.5 mm Grendel Krieger Barrel Chambered in house by Precision Firearms to SAAMI Specs. 1-8 Twist Available in 10.5, 11.5, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 inch 10.5, 11.5 Carbine Gas 16 Mid Length Gas 18 Intermediate Gas, Gas Tube included Matched to bolt by PF Bolt Included Fluting available with 6, 8, 10 flutes front and back sections Dimple Flute optional 10 Rows Threaded 5/8x24 optional .936 Gas Block .920 Muzzle Delivery time - 20 weeks on Barrels,- 20 Weeks on Uppers

this thing comes to $840 with 6 flutes (cuz i want <2lbs); i called and talked to them, they say its solid 0.5MOA. but... almost $840a bit too much. will keep looking. also, that price includes their bolt...which they say i must buy (although i dont have to cuz i have headspace gauge and my own bolt i can check)

when i talked to PF about Criterion barrels, they said they dont give any guarantee on its MOA, but its most likely 0.75MOA thats what they observe all the time. But price with 6flute option is actually $470 which is not that bad given that MOA will be ~0.75

if anyone has more options or personal experience with specific barrel for <$500-$600 feel free to let know
              Last edited by R2BRO; 07-21-2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                OK, the PF is actually expensive lol
                Krieger Barrel 1-8 Twist Stainless Cut Rifled - Built to our specifications. 6.5 mm Grendel Krieger Barrel Chambered in house by Precision Firearms to SAAMI Specs. 1-8 Twist Available in 10.5, 11.5, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 inch 10.5, 11.5 Carbine Gas 16 Mid Length Gas 18 Intermediate Gas, Gas Tube included Matched to bolt by PF Bolt Included Fluting available with 6, 8, 10 flutes front and back sections Dimple Flute optional 10 Rows Threaded 5/8x24 optional .936 Gas Block .920 Muzzle Delivery time - 20 weeks on Barrels,- 20 Weeks on Uppers

this thing comes to $840 with 6 flutes (cuz i want <2lbs); i called and talked to them, they say its solid 0.5MOA. but... almost $840a bit too much. will keep looking. also, that price includes their bolt...which they say i must buy (although i dont have to cuz i have headspace gauge and my own bolt i can check)

when i talked to PF about Criterion barrels, they said they dont give any guarantee on its MOA, but its most likely 0.75MOA thats what they observe all the time. But price with 6flute option is actually $470 which is not that bad given that MOA will be ~0.75

if anyone has more options or personal experience with specific barrel for <$500-$600 feel free to let know
                Don't waist money on fluting. You want light weight go with a thinner profile for the complete barrel length.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Lilja sells barrels that match all your crtieria. Very well respected barrel manufacturer. PF uses his barrels but you can also buy direct and build yourself.

Agree with A5, that fluting shaves relatively little weight from a barrel for a lot of cost. Unless money is no object I would avoid it (from experience).

Comment

• R2BRO
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

would it be OK to use the bolt made by Six Five Arms with Lilja (or even JP) barrel? (and a detent+firing pin from BCA, cuz its leftover from some kit) ?

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Last edited by am4966; 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Wethepeople
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2020

My JP barrel included the JP bolt. I did have to break the corners on the extractor ever so slightly to solve extraction/feed issues.

My monster bolt on the other hand was gtg after removing the extractor oring. I will buy again w/o reservation.

Comment

Working...
                          X