• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roland
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Help light 18 in low recoil build

New to the forum. Never built an AR. Due to rheumatoid arthritis I need a low recoil gun that is light weight for deer hunting. I was thinking of 18 in a2 profile 6.5 Grendel with muzzle break. I need help on which muzzle break and buffer system for lowest recoil for a light gun.
  • KZero
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

Welcome Roland.
    Myself, I've found that in 5.56, the VG6 Epsilon really cuts rearward thrust and muzzle jump. They have tested well for others, too.
    The VG6 Epsilon 6.5 offers some flash suppression, and the VG Gamma 6.5 is pretty much the same thing, but more of a break and no flash suppression.
    I also have experience with the Primary Weapon Systems FSC in 5.56, but it looks to have been redesigned since I bought mine. They now have a PRC model in .30 caliber that should work fine for the 6.5 Grendel. Personally I'd be willing to take a chance on it.
    My main defensive carbine has a pencil-profile from BCM (in 5.56) due to the quest for low weight, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm new to the 6.5, so i don't know right off the top of my head who may offer such a light profile in that caliber, but others who know more should be along shortly.
    Good luck!
    Kenny

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Your on the right track for min felt recoil.

Here is what I suggest.

You will want to go the full lowmass system meaning this. Pick a brake of your choosing, then add a adjustable gas block a lowmass bcg and just use standard carbine buffer and spring or rifle buffer and spring.

When it comes to cutting down the weight of the barrel a slimmer profiled barrel will always be lighter then a fluted barrel.

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

The lightest commercially available 18" Grendel barrels are:
        Faxon Gunner 1.68 lbs
        Ballistic Advantage SPR Fluted 1.96 lbs
        Alexander Arms Lite (fluted) 2.1 lbs
        Criterion Core Hybrid 2.2 lbs

I have an older AA Lite barrel that comes in at about 1.8 lbs that shoots and handles pretty well. Lighter weight rifles tend to recoil more, so the biggest things you can do to help mitigate the recoil will be:
        1. Effective muzzle brake - I like the VG6 series and the YHM Phantom for the money.
        2. Longer gas system - If you get an 18" barrel with a Rifle or Hybrid gas system (Odin and some other barrel mfgs use hybrid gas systems on 18 inchers), the pressure at gas port will be lower than with a Midlength gas system. There are a lot of variables at play here, but in general a longer gas system can reduce the recoil impulse.
        3. Adjustable gas block - Wojtek Weaponry makes an affordable option. By restricting the gas flow, you can slow down your rifle's reciprocating mass a bit. By combining this with a low mass bolt carrier or buffer weight, you can fine-tune the system to an extent. Going too light may lead to malfunctions.

For what it's worth, my 18" Alexander Arms barrel with Midlength gas system and standard weight recoil system components has pretty mild recoil. It weighs about 9 pounds with optic, and a little more with a full mag, so that helps to soak up some of the recoil. The 6.5 Grendel's recoil is pretty mild in an AR, so you might be fine with completely standard components and an A2 flash hider.

Comment

• Roland
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2020

Thanks all. I knew that a lighter weapon will have more recoil but my RA makes a heavy weapon hard to carry. I'm looking for the lights system with low recoil that can ethically take deer. I know about muzzle breaks. Thanks for the details on a good one. I didn't know about a light bcg. Thanks this gives me some ideas to work with.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

If you reload you can also load light.

Or get a suppressor as all the forward edges of the baffles act as an amazing muzzle break.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Not related to recoil, but if you haven't, consider a two point sling, cross chest carry for the rifle so you don't have to use a lot of arm strength to carry it. Most of the weight of the rifle will be distributed across the back and save your arms. The rifle is still pretty quick to the shoulder. I like my Viking Tactics (VTAC) two point. I have the padded version.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Was in need of muzzle device sometime ago and found a comp on the market that JP Enterprise use to sell as an option, pleasantly surprised by it's performance and would buy another if needed, take a look at the GoGuns super comp. It seems to work very well minimizing recoil and keeping the muzzle flat without nearly the concussion of my vg gamma or other breaks I own. Pretty affordable too pending on type of material selected.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

IMO, I never considered a 6.5 Grendel to have much recoil.An 18 inch criterion hybrid barrel is light.And an aero precision 6.5 gamma break,will help.An adjustable gas block and suppressor would work if you wanted to go that route. And as Klem mentioned, loading your bullets a little lighter.

Comment

• Texcl2
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2020

Comment

• Roland
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2020

Thanks. Let me know how much the compensater helps.
                      Roland

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Roland View Post
                        New to the forum. Never built an AR. Due to rheumatoid arthritis I need a low recoil gun that is light weight for deer hunting. I was thinking of 18 in a2 profile 6.5 Grendel with muzzle break. I need help on which muzzle break and buffer system for lowest recoil for a light gun.
                        Jp scs, lowmass bcg, adjustable gas block and the most aggressive muzzle brake plus shoot 100 grain are less weight bullets will be the best route for reducing as much felt recoil that you can.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by drewthebrave View Post
                          The lightest commercially available 18" Grendel barrels are:
                          Faxon Gunner 1.68 lbs
                          Ballistic Advantage SPR Fluted 1.96 lbs
                          Alexander Arms Lite (fluted) 2.1 lbs
                          Criterion Core Hybrid 2.2 lbs
                          JP 18" with rifle length gas system 1.9 lbs.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                          X