Heavier Buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavier Buffer?

I'm building an 18" barreled carbine with mid-length gas tube and a telescopic stock. I have all the parts except the barrel & trigger are still on order. I got to thinking about the standard-weight buffer. Is it likely to function adequately for the Grendel or should I go ahead and order an H or H2 buffer while I wait?
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

The standard buffer should work fine. I had to use a heavy buffer on a registered full auto when I put a Adam Arms gas system on it to stop bolt bounce. I believe Alexander Arms use standard buffers on their rifles they make.

Comment

I had the standard carbine buffer and wasn't getting good ejection, once in a while it would leave an empty cartridge on top of mag follower. Went to the heavier buffer(H2) solved it. Also, it's been recommended to use the M16 bolt carrier. Along with the heavier buffer is slows the recoil down, smoothing out the recoil and reducing felt recoil.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
        I had the standard carbine buffer and wasn't getting good ejection, once in a while it would leave an empty cartridge on top of mag follower. Went to the heavier buffer(H2) solved it. Also, it's been recommended to use the M16 bolt carrier. Along with the heavier buffer is slows the recoil down, smoothing out the recoil and reducing felt recoil.
        Good sound advice

Comment

I'm good there; as I have an M16 Bolt Carrier standing by in the box o' parts.

Bill, I received your 'heavy use' Grendel bolt and was surprised to see a slot milled through one of the lugs. Does this serve as a wear-indicator of some sort?

Comment

• samalama76

I use a H3 buffer for my 18" mid-length gas system and it functions flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
            X