• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PVBoom
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Grendel Build 3

While waiting on a barrel for build 2, I stumbled across a Lilja 20" barrel, Maxim bolt, GB and tube on arf.com. I also got a used BCM upper from the same guy.
    First thermal fit I had to do. It went smooth after freezing the barrel overnight.
    So black with FDE accents. Some things sprayed with Brownells Alumahyde Magpul FDE paint.
    Which I think is too damn shiny. The front MBUS is case in point, and the Geissele extended bolt release.
    CDNN has an overstock of the front MBUS in desert tan and I picked some up for ~15 each to paint over.

G3_mk1a.jpgG3_mk1b.jpgG3_mk1c.jpg

1. Lilja 20" w/ Maxim bolt ,?? GB and tube
    2. BCM mk1 Upper
    3. HG STNGR VLCN 15"
    4. PWA Lower
    5. Radian Raptor FDE CH
    6. RTB lightweight carrier
    7. RCA adjustable gas key
    8. A2 Rifle Buffer
    9. Luth-AR Stock
    10. Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Trigger
    11. Geissele Enhance Bolt release
    12. CMMG LPK kit
    13. Seekins ambi safety, mag release, trigger guard
    14. JTM Pistol Grip
    15. VG6 Gamma 65
    16. Magpul Bipod
    17. Magpul MBUS
    18. Magpul XTM hand stop
    Last edited by PVBoom; 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM.
  • Croak
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

Did you scuff the stuff before painting? I find that it not only helps the paint adhere better, it tends to reduce gloss with most colors, especially on plastics.

Comment

• PVBoom
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Croak View Post
      Did you scuff the stuff before painting? I find that it not only helps the paint adhere better, it tends to reduce gloss with most colors, especially on plastics.
      No, I will need to consider that next time.

Is that an Aluma-hyde only recommendation, or generic for rattle canning?

Comment

• Croak
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Both.

The smoother the surface, the more it tends to reflect light and appear more glossy. Scuffing with Scotchbrite pad or something similar roughs the surface up, but doesn't gouge like a low grit sandpaper, and doesn't smooth like a high grit.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

I have two A1 AR butt stocks I DuraCoated. The stock I sprayed with FDE was done without any scuffing at all & does appear to have more of a satin sheen to it. The other stock was sprayed with Magpul O.D. green after I scuffed it with a coarse 68 grit sand paper & it does have a more flat look to it. I used the coarse paper 'cause I wanted a textured feel to the stock & to give it better no-slip traction. Before painting, I wiped them down with mineral spirits & then denatured alcohol.
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

OK, so I installed a Monster dust cover this weekend.

During the process I solved a small issue.

So from the start, I didn't like the gap between the upper receiver and the STNGR handguard. There was a visible gap (unfortunately I don't have a good pic of it.
            When I was putting the HG back on, I noticed it was in contact with the dust cover pin end.

So I Dremelled down the end. I probably took too much off, but the HG is definitely more flush to the upper now.
            Yeah, I took too much off in retrospect. If it walks too much, I can always get another pin and do a smaller grind next time.

Dust Cover2.jpg
            Last edited by PVBoom; 08-17-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Aluma-hyde is pretty tough, you could very lightly sand/buff it to reduce the sheen, had some that went on rough and took the sand paper to it. It smooth it out quit a bit without working through it, just be careful on the edges.

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

SwampFox Arrowhead 1-20.
                With the Larue 204, the rear scope cover was virtually hitting the rear MBUS.
                I pulled them off and went with some Dagger Defense offsets.

Monster dust cover reinstalled with a new dust cover pin which was shorter then the one I Dremelled and bent.

I still have to install a scope level/bubble ring.

G3_mk31a.jpgG3_mk31b.jpgG3_mk31c.jpg

Comment

• PVBoom
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

OK.

Belated range report.

About 3 weeks ago I left my Covid cage and hit the range with this and the other (FDE build w/ 18"monster barrel).

I did a function/blow up in my face test and was not injured. Yes, at this point, unless you are ordering parts from the worst tier or get unlucky or really suck at smithing, you should be fine.
                  But given the advice from others about the initial test fire, I went to the range with a bunch of paracord and an intention to fire remotely. In the end, I was below the shooting bench, risking my
                  hand/wrist snaking up from below to test fire. And yes, the guy holding/securing the buttstock had more faith, as did the guy who didn't realize this was a test fire. But... success.

Both Grendels fired fine.

After that point I was sighting this one in with the 1-10 Swampfox Arrowhead LPVO at 50 yards. This was the first time using this scope.

After that was set we went over to to the 100/200/300 range.

OK, I was using Wolf at this point, for test and initially to see how it did. No, I don't have a target images. At this point I was delighted to be shooting again, and having fun and not concentrating enough.

After some groups at 100y for ~1-2 moa, I shot some steel. Then worked on 200 yards. I was hitting 1-2 MOA with the Lilja barrel with the Wolf ammo.
                  While I wasn't grouping as tight as I wanted, I was really impressing my buddy. He was using Wolf on an AK build, and he wasn't consistent.

When I get some more range time, I will post results.

Otherwise, delighted with this build.

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

G3 w Trijicon.jpg

So I went through and did diopter adjustments for my scopes yesterday.
                    I had never done this properly (set parallax to infinity, point at sky and fine tune, then sharpie mark).
                    I find I am OK at a wide range of the diopters focus.

Here she is with a Trijicon 2.5-15x56 MRAD red reticle in a 30mm Aadmount.
                    Walker Defense Nero 7.62 MD, Magpul bipod.
                    Last edited by PVBoom; 08-21-2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X