Just purchased and SAOD upper with a 24" Lothar Walther barrel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just purchased and SAOD upper with a 24" Lothar Walther barrel...

Hello all and thanks for welcoming me to the 6.5 Grendel forum!

I purchased an upper on Gunbroker made by SAOD as detailed here:

Was wondering if anybody else has of these and could provide any insight on how it performs? I did see some feedback on this site from others configured with a 20" barrel which sounded pretty promising but nothing on the 24" version.

Thanks,
    David.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

One of the issues is that SAOD exists only on the internet. There is no phone number or address on their web site.

One or two reports have shown up on the site...try the site search engine, but there isn't a lot about them.

No one is really sure what chamber they use, what bolt, etc.

Comment

• samalama76

Shoot it!

Comment

Originally posted by samalama76 View Post
        Shoot it!
        That's the plan!

Comment

Yes they do seem to be a peculiar outfit to be dealing with. The fellow I bought it from on GA was nice enough on the phone but could not supply and tracking details, etc for the Upper as apparently "It ships straight from the manufacturer".

I'll let you know how it does with some hand loaded Hornady 123gr A-Max's over some CCI 450's and IMR-8208-XBR. Not sure on the exact load yet.

Comment

I have a 20" version and it will shoot el cheapo Wolf into 1.2 MOA at 100 yards right out of the box with my original sorry trigger. Now I have a Geissele SSA-E so I will be expecting much better. I am soon to be testing some loads with Amax 123s and 120 Nosler BTs over 748 and 8208.

Heading out to a 200 yard range in the morning to dial mine in for an upcoming match. I love mine and I don't care where SOAD is located.

Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM.

Comment

My 24 inch saod is very accurate and functions great... so far a little over 1000 rounds fired.

Comment

Hi bill. When I got my upper l called Lw about the bolt. Woody told me they are the new enhanced version he provides ...
                He said if ever a problem he would take care of it.

Comment

This all sounds very promising and with a bit of luck it might help improve how I do in matches this year.

The rifle is chambered in 6.5 CSS which appears to be identical to 6.5mm Grendel.

Thanks all,
                  David.

Comment

• leopard6.5

David: My understanding is that the CSS chamber has a .295 neck where the Grendel has a .300 neck.

Close but not exact.

Hopefully it won't make any difference in how it shoots for you but I had heard there was some concern about these variations being able to shoot the new Wolf ammo when it comes out because of the coating it will have.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leopard6.5 View Post
                      David: My understanding is that the CSS chamber has a .295 neck where the Grendel has a .300 neck.

Close but not exact.

Hopefully it won't make any difference in how it shoots for you but I had heard there was some concern about these variations being able to shoot the new Wolf ammo when it comes out because of the coating it will have.

Good Luck.

Lee
                      That's useful info, thanks Lee. I'll let you know if I do come across any problems but since I hand load I'm hoping I won't.

Comment

I've purchased one of these stock kits to go with my custom built lower. Does anybody know if the buffer/spring combination included might cause any functional problems? If I were dealing with 5.56mm ammo I'd know the answer but I'm not certain when talking about the 6.5 Grendel. Note: Using Hornady 6.5 Grendel Brass, Hornady 123gr A-Max, CCI 450 primers and IMR 8208-XBR powder. Not sure on the exact charge yet but ~28grains should do it.

Thanks again!

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Generally speaking, the standard AR buffers/springs will work. Some have found that using a H2 or H3 buffer enhances function, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X