X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grendel

Hi,

Here is my Grendel:

Here are the details: Sabre Defense chrome lined, fluted, medium weight barrel, with mid-length gas system. I think it is 18 inches.
    MI FF handguards.
    Noveske Switchblock. I have the selector wrench cleverly hidden in the grip on a spring loaded retractable line so I can use it quickly and not lose it.
    YHM .30 caliber suppressor with QD mount.
    Armalite scope mount.
    Custom Leupold 1.5-5 scope. I originally had this made for a 7.62x39 AR, with the ballistic drop dials. When I can save up enough $, I am going to upgrade to a Leupold MRT M2.
    I also will probably switch the upper to the side charging handle, to make it easier to charge when shooting with the gas off.

It is a great rifle, I haven't been able to shoot it much, but what I have done so far has been really fun. It is super quiet, just slightly louder than a .22.

awesome!

Comment

Very nice! Looks like you got a shooter there!

Comment

Nice set-up.
        Do you see any difference in point of impact or accuracy with and w/o the suppressor?

Comment

No difference in accuracy, but unfortunately, a big difference in point of impact with the suppressor on/off. About 12 minutes with elevation. (I keep it sighted in for the suppressor, shoots higher with it off) I am also guessing that I will lose some velocity with it on. It may also make a difference on what gas setting I have it on. So it will take a while to get all the variables sorted out.

Comment

lets see a 100yd target, like to see how she does!

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Howdy and welcome.

12 minutes? Wow- you sure about that? I wouldn't think the barrel is that flexible. I have no POI shift on any of my medium or heavy .223 barrels and only 1 MOA shift on a light profile barrel. YHM .223 can so it's the same design, just a little smaller. Did you torque/ loosen/ re-torque your barrel nut several times before applying final torque? You may not have the barrel extension shouldered well against the receiver if you didn't.

You shouldn't loose any velocity either. In fact sometimes you gain a little. I don't know how but I've observed it myself when shooting over a chrono.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Ooops, it was 5 minutes with the Grendel, and 12 minutes with the 7.62x39. I had to check my range card, my memory is not the best. The 7.62x39 was built by ARP, and they also bed the barrel into the receiver. I shot several hundred rounds, and it was very repeatable.

Thinking it over, I bet it is due to changes in my NPOA from the weight of the suppressor. I never shoot from a bench, and the weight of the suppressor could be altering my NPOA. As long as my position feels solid to me, its accurate, and repeatable I'm going to keep on with it. I've only shot about 50 rounds or so with this set up. We will see what happens as I get more trigger time with it.

That would be great if I can gain velocity from the suppressor!

I typically shoot 2.5-3 MOA, prone, with a sling, slow fire. At least with the .223/7.62x39.

Comment

The biggest factor in POI shift suppressed to unsuppressed is concentricity. If the barrel, bore, threads, suppressor threads, and baffles aren't concentric and square, you'll have more POI shift. You'll also have more velocity with a can than without, since you get more boost behind the projectile.

Comment

More than that, it's harmonics.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      The biggest factor in POI shift suppressed to unsuppressed is concentricity. If the barrel, bore, threads, suppressor threads, and baffles aren't concentric and square, you'll have more POI shift. You'll also have more velocity with a can than without, since you get more boost behind the projectile.
                      Originally posted by Deezil View Post
                      More than that, it's harmonics.
                      I vote both.

Also---
                      "Freebore Boost": Many suppressors increase velocity by behaving similar to (but less efficient than) additional barrel length. Typically a portion of the cartridge's propellant remains unburned as the projectile leaves the barrel in an unsuppressed platform. The cooler atmospheric air and lower pressures allow this powder to "go out". The introduction of a suppressor contains the combustion gasses and unburnt propellant that would have otherwise been "wasted", and results in more complete combustion within the higher pressures and temperatures inside the can. Most of the powder seems to burn in the blast chamber, and the tight apertures of the baffles allow the rapidly expanding gasses to continue applying force to the base of the projectile. If all of the powder is burnt before the projectile exits the suppressor there is normally little or no muzzle flash.

Different cans and cartridges vary, but expect anywhere from 15 to 40 fps more. The highest I've ever seen was around 50fps IIRC.
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I like.... I want a suppressor................

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by FSWJR View Post
                          I like.... I want a suppressor................
                          Well... Get you one.
                          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                            Well... Get you one.
                            Or get some earplugs......seriously I did not realize all the extra issues involved before I got one. Its heavy, long, messy. On the plus side, it gets you in shape, and I'm going to get to know my rifle a lot better by mastering all the variables. Plus it is fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X