• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Applied VC3 Vibra-Tite on a barrel extension

So.. I received my JP barrel 18" 6.5

I was messing around with odin works O2 handguard, and in one of the videos the Odin Works technician said that you can even put a little VC3 vibra-tite (red) threadlocker supplied on a barrel extension in order to "bed" it and increase precision.

the thing is...i never thought I'd do that, but for some reason i kinda did it...what happened is, I did not expect this thing to get dry so fast and as a result of a relatively thick layer of VC3 applied to barrel extension I was not able to fully insert it before it dried on an extension.
    then, I started heating it a little and slowly trying to remove with rotational movements, and managed to do it successfully.

then i took a dremel, put a cloth-like attachment to it (more like a cotton brush attachment), and i removed as much as i could extra layer of dried VC3 on a barrel extension and from inside the upper receiver.

however, even after this, it was difficult to put barrel back into receiver, cuz there was still some leftover although very thin layer of dried VC3 which was hard to fully remove, so I just drove it in using a rubber mullet by tapping from front side.

as of now, it seems to be fully inserted and actually pretty stiff.

I have not put barrel nut yet (not decided yet), but after describing what was on and where i am now, here is my question

1) reading the VC3 specs it says that its max temperrature is 165F, now given what i did above...(apply, then remove partially VC3 and then drive barrel back in with rubber mullet), am i in trouble? meaning that, is there a danger that this VC3 between upper and barrel extender will "vaporize" or anything? or its totally fine and i should leave it as is since i managed to put barrel fully in?
    no need to remove barrel and fully getting rid of that leftover VC3?
    Last edited by R2BRO; 11-21-2020, 04:33 AM.
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

after thinking about it myself a little bit more...I guess I am getting maybe too paranoid about it; there should be no harm in it and I maybe should just leave barrel inside, and tiny amount of VC3 left there not gonna ruin anything.
    (feel free to comment anyway)

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

R2,

I'm thinking that if there is a solid that turns into a liquid above a certain temp then gravity takes over and it will want to pool at the bottom and leak out at the shooters end. The barrel nut will be on tight sealing the front so no leakage there. But, in your case it sounds like there's so little of it that it will just stay in place and solidify as the receiver cools. Even if it gets hot it will probably still be too viscous to run and too little of it to do anything other than stick to the surface area it's at. I can't see it being an issue at all.
      Last edited by Klem; 11-21-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• R2BRO
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

thank you Klem!!!!

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Along the likes of what Klem said - the max temp is probably when it starts to liquify and starts to lose its thread locking properties. The real reason you would put it in there is to fill any gaps when putting a barrel into a receiver is a bit sloppy (there are a lot of older threads on that), but it sounds like you had a nice tight fit to start. When it does heat up and liquify, it should actually travel to the areas where there might be gaps and fill them.

I was going to respond to your other post about VX-3 - the best place to find a good thread locker selection is an auto parts store. They're all the same across colors - red, blue, green, etc. Permatex is the brand my local guy carries.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
          X