• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Interchanging bolts with carriers

So i have BCG from toolcraft for 6.5G, and now I received just bolt from JP when purchased their barrel.

those parts I know *should* be interchangeable, but just wanted to make sure: is it OK if I grab my Toolcraft carrier and use it with JP 6.5g bolt?
    I assume I do not have to headspace gauge it right? cuz its JP who sent me boplt+barrel and I assume i can *trust* them that they did it right and i can just go ahead use it with toolcrafts carrier.

(and use toolcrafts 6.5G bolt in some other build with non-toolcraft carrier also OK , correct?)
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

The bolt will work fine with the barrel.

It's the bcg and firing pin length you need to check with that toolcraft stuff. They have been known to use a bolt and firing pin that is not of proper length.

Easiest thing to do is measure the length of both bolts. If they are the same then you will have no issues with the fireing pin. If the toolcraft bolt is shorter or longer you will have issues with the length of the fireing pin.

Comment

• R2BRO
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

JP bolt: 2.813
      toolcraft bolt (taken out of toolcraft bcg): 2.811

OK to interchange i guess?

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Those 2 are within tolerances. The problem comes when they are 0.011 +/- apart.

The carrier itself is "agnostic", doesn't care what bolt you use; like A5 says the bolt and firing pin are what has been an issue.
        IF you have a *short bolt+short pin* or whatever from toolcraft they will work ok as long as they are kept together (pin and bolt).

I hope I haven't mixed any of this up... several threads on those TC bolts and firing pins.

The longer bolt for the grendel is to allow use of the standard firing pin but allow for the 0.136" (extra 0.011) depth of the bolt face.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

JP checks the headspace of the bolt with the barrel to ensure proper function. You can't buy a JP barrel without a JP bolt. It's their way of ensuring quality and limiting the phones from ringing due to headspace problems that may arise from another manufacturers QC problems.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
          X