• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Barrel question for the guru's:14.5 project

I have a connundrum on barrel options; and was wondering the input of others who have trod this path.

I have handled the 12" build versions, and think they are amazing - in power to performance to compactness. I also think they are going away; and for my own project, don't want to depend on the ARPistol path. To that end, I want as short as possible. Which means 14.5 pin and weld. For 5.56, that's a lot of effort, for a gun that has a notable power loss. Effectively going from 16" down to 14.5" in 5.56 halves the terminal (2700 fps) range of the gun. But not so in Grendel; even 12" has 1000 ft-lb well past 100 yards, and crowding 200 yards. Going up to 14.5 Extends that, and going up to 16" only extends it a little more; and more importantly, it extends it out to ranges beyond what I'm likely going to ethically shoot anyway. So my logic is, a 14.5 pin and weld in Grendle, approachs the handness of 12" and I fell like worth the effort of the whole P&W PITA for it. To that end, a 14.5" light weight cut, would seem ideal and might even approach the weight of an A2 cut (fat muzzle end) 12" pistol build.

OK, but today, 14.5" options are basically:
    A) Convert an existing well shot 20" SS PSA 6.5 CM HBAR (free in hand, but not modified)
    B) Purchase a 16" FAXON Gunner (light weight cut), and convert to 14.5 pin and weld ($200 on order, but long lead time; and not modified)
    C) Buy one of the heavy Llija's 14.5" being offered ($400)

Each of these has trade-offs, and I'm curious what this teams thoughts are.

A) Modifying an existing Creemdoor HBAR means cutting, laith machine down to preferred contour, dealing with the pre-existing gas port and any other wear, recrowing, threading, and then pin and weld. I don't have ability to do any of that, but do have friends. That said, by the time that's done; I'm guessing that's not such a "Free barrel" after-all; that seems like a lot of work for a PSA barrel with 3000 rounds through it?

B) The ~$200 FAXON has the contour I want, to be nice and light. But I still have to cut, recrown, thread, and pin and weld. Again, don't have ability to do that myself, and by they time all that's added up, I don't know the real value. The bigger item of note, is that something like a FAXON could be a dice roll? Once you do all that work, and pin and weld - wouldn't that be a heartbreaker if that cost-effective barrel just doesn't shoot?

C) is expensive; Llija's not cheap. I can deal with that, but more notable, it's an H-bar weight; or close to it. Won't that undermine the point of a light-weight and handy 14.5 pin and weld? But I hear good things about Llija.

So I guess my question to those considerably more experienced in this world, is what are you own thoughts on this?

Here's the compensator I've spec'd out. It's the 7.62 version of BCM's Gunfighter. I have one on a 5.56, and find them to be a real nice balance of limiting blast, while still maintaining some effectiveness.
    4x P100
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Short answer? Ditch the 14.5, expect it to get whomped (somehow) by the Bidenites.
    Get that 16" now and build it. for shortness use the collapsible stock. And so it's pre-existing if/when anything comes down.
    And a VG 6.5 gamma brake if you want a brake. 16"Minus brake=14.5+device (whatever) as far as shortness goes.
    I would guess no brake on a 16-er would be about the same effect as any pinned muzzle device on the 14.5.

The more types of rules etc that a thing falls under (like, the 14.5 is < 16 regardless of what you put on it)... the worse Bidenites will treat it.

Honestly my take on the 14.5 is it is really good for cqb but that's what puts it in crosshairs of leftwingers.
    I don't expect to do any room-cleaning or etc in my future.
    If I'm really looking for something real close-range I'd get a pcc or etc instead, in 9, 40 or 45. Or a 20-gauge pump.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

A few years back I had a Sabre Defence 14.5 pin and weld barrel. It was a A2 profile. I should have never sold that. I don't know what I was thinking.

A 14.5 Gunner would be nice. As you note, sadly this would cost a bit since Faxon isn't smart enough to make it a factory option.

What about running it without a muzzle device? I know it doesn't have the cool factor but it's much cheaper. If it turns about you really like it you could do the pin and weld later.
      Last edited by biodsl; 02-08-2021, 10:56 PM.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

If you do decide to go the "get 16 now and chop it later" option, just don't get a nitrided barrel, get plain SS. Nitriding is a bear of hardness... not only for the cut-down but also for any threading on the tip. The re-crown wouldn't be nitrided anyway.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Oh if the 14.5" pinned to 16" goes away, surely the 16" will be just as dead. In that mindset we aren't going to be able to even keep them. I vote Lilja as mine shoots better than I can, color me impressed.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
            Oh if the 14.5" pinned to 16" goes away, surely the 16" will be just as dead. In that mindset we aren't going to be able to even keep them. I vote Lilja as mine shoots better than I can, color me impressed.
            Yea pretty much. I can see the 12" "pistols" going away, as all that takes is for the ATF to unilaterally declare some things, which are in their charter and authority to do (doesn't matter if we don't like it). But they can't redefine current 16" guns into anything else so easy. And legislative banning 16" pin & weld (w/ 14.5" of rifling) vs 16" barrel; isn't likely to be a differentiating item in a future ban.

Looks like one my routes; the one of just pulling my Creedmoor barrel and have it cut and machined down as a fun-project - is looking like a go. Only cost being the barrel nut and flash-hider (and some thank-you goodness'). Don't see that project done before this summer, but sounds cheapest as well as potentially "neatest", since it means saving and repurposing a worn barrel, which is kind of cool So I'm leaning that way now.

And on that - for machining down the current SS HBAR form to something light and thin; what is the thinnest barrel wall thickness for a safe light-weight Grendel barrel? Does anyone have the dimensional drawings on any skinny-cut barrels?
            Last edited by lazyengineer; 02-09-2021, 03:59 PM.
            4x P100

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
              A few years back I had a Sabre Defence 14.5 pin and weld barrel. It was a A2 profile. I should have never sold that. I don't know what I was thinking.

A 14.5 Gunner would be nice. As you note, sadly this would cost a bit since Faxon isn't smart enough to make it a factory option.

What about running it without a muzzle device? I know it doesn't have the cool factor but it's much cheaper. If it turns about you really like it you could do the pin and weld later.
              I looked hard at those Sabre Defense 14.5 pin and welds; which are at RedX arms. Those looked pretty darned good. I passed because it wasn't quite the configuration I was going for, but yea - those looked pretty great.
              4x P100

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Well... darn. My Faxon 16" Gunner came in. Barrel looks well designed, but the outer diameter at 14.5", is the same as the OD of the muzzle end threads. Meaning that while I could cut it to 14.5" and thread it, the muzzle devide won't have a shoulder to butt up agains. While I can try to force it, in the end, this probably isn't the best way to go - too many potential problems if starting with a Faxon Gunner. (malonited is a bitch to cut through for machining, muzzle device won't butt up right, gas port is midlength, which might be too long on a Grendel at 14.5, not sure.

I guess I'll just toss the barrel on a shelf as a spare; which isn't the end of the world, as getting barrels at all isn't easy these days!
                4x P100

Comment

Working...
                X