• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hansel&Grendel
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Barrel Bedding - Use of Loctite

Several on this forum use Loctite for barrel bedding the barrel extension to the upper receiver after lapping the upper. I've used Blue Loctite to do so but I notice that others use Green Loctite (620). Since adhesion isn't the objective but filling the gap between the extension and upper is the objective, what advantage is there in using Green Loctite, if any? Green Loctite would make the barrel more difficult to remove because of its greater adhesion properties. I did read somewhere that Green Loctite (620) has greater expansion properties and presumably would be better at gap filling especially with cylindrical devices.
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

I used the 620 Loctite on the original upper receiver for my Grendel AR. It was a BCA upper & had a sloppy fit with my Wilson Combat barrel. I replaced it with an upper from Precision Firearms. The same barrel was a thermal fit in the PF upper. It didn't take a lot of effort to remove the barrel from the BCA upper. I put a 1" hard wood dowel in the upper & then gave the dowel one good whack with a dead-blow mallet. The 620 Loctite pretty much shattered & the barrel came out easily. What Loctite remained on the barrel extension just peeled off. 620 is for this sorta thing - cylindrical fittings at high temps. Blue (242/243) is a medium strength thread locker. It's bond can be broken using regular hand-tools. I wouldn't recommend using it for bedding a barrel.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Do yourself a soild and forget the glue.

Get you some steel shim stock and use it to do a heat and freeze compression fit up after lapping the upper.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Stay away from the green. It flows and it gets into every nook and cranny there is. I've been using gasket sealant ever since it was recommended to me by a tech from Proof Research. Indian Head, Permatex, whatever brand they have at your local auto parts store. Fills the gaps, doesn't make the barrel too hard to remove and cleans up easily with a little acetone.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I tried Loctite 641 a while back but it never improved group sizes. It's designed to fill voids in tight cylindrical gaps and harden with almost no bond strength, so you can remove it later.

The fit was already tight so not needed in the end. It was more an experiment to see what all the talk of gluing was about. 641 does what it's supposed to do and I imagine it would improve things if the fit was more sloppy.

That said, I would concentrate on squaring the upper and getting a quality fitting barrel and nut before reaching for the glue.

Comment

• TruLbrt
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2020

Try a tight fitting upper instead. I will select the tightest out of several, and leave looser ones for 5.56/300.
            Aero M4E1 threaded uppers have been the tightest thus far.

Comment

• PVBoom
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by TruLbrt View Post
              Try a tight fitting upper instead. I will select the tightest out of several, and leave looser ones for 5.56/300.
              Aero M4E1 threaded uppers have been the tightest thus far.
              Then you haven't been trying the really tight ones, that require thermal fits like BCM, VLTOR, Noveske or JP Enterprises.

Comment

• Red*Lion
                Warrior
                • Apr 2020

I have only ever used shims. I am not a believer in needing to lap an upper. I could be open to bedding using loc tite if I ever got a barrel to upper fit that was loose. I have never had a sloppy fit with most being snug and some being tight.

Comment

• Les
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

Or, build from a BCM stripped upper, they're cut slightly smaller but not sure of the dimension. One of my builds I had to put the barrel into the freezer before it would seat. They are tight right out of the gate, and never felt the need to lap.
                  Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• stubshaft
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2020

Another vote for 620 Green.
                    If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

• Dt219
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2020

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                        Warrior
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Red*Lion View Post
                        I am not a believer in needing to lap an upper.
                        The uppers are fine until they're coated, it's the coating that needs to be leveled. I've personally seen two which were bad enough to cause a problem. Most are acceptable as they are, but all I assemble get trued.

Comment

• DCC83501
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2019

Up until my latest, I have used BCM uppers that always require a thermal fit. That process along with truing the receiver face is something I have grown to believe in. The latest, with a Precision Firearms Lilja 720 I just received from Mark last week, I utilized .001' Stainless steel stock to mate the barrel and upper. In the end, with the end result I had to freeze the barrel and heat the upper to get her together. With about 120 shots down the tube that barrel appears as though it will be hitting above my pay grade! I've done the 620 Green on one assembly with a less than tight fit on. That rifle is a Group Buy Green Mtn. 12" Grendel and is damn accurate rifle. I'd just as soon stay away from the Loctite though.

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                            Do yourself a soild and forget the glue.

Get you some steel shim stock and use it to do a heat and freeze compression fit up after lapping the upper.
                            Just saw this thread. I figure I may as well contribute my experience. I used brass shim stock for my rifles that needed a little help. Brass was the only metal my local industrial shop carried in small quantity. I would have preferred steel, but I figured metal is metal. It has to be better than slopping glue on those surfaces, which will eventually just harden in any old shape you let it conform to, whether it's a good shape or not. A metal shim on the other hand, which has consistent thickness throughout, ensures that the extension has to go into the receiver perfectly straight, and stay that way permanently. I think the 0.004" shimming material worked well for me. And this was after doing a little lapping to true the end, I should also mention.

FWIW, on my uppers I did not need to do any freezing. I just blasted my upper's forward end with a Bernz-o-matic propane torch all around for a few seconds. After that I was able to tap the barrel shim-wrapped extension into the receiver.

Comment

• Old Bob
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                              Just saw this thread. I figure I may as well contribute my experience. I used brass shim stock for my rifles that needed a little help. Brass was the only metal my local industrial shop carried in small quantity. I would have preferred steel, but I figured metal is metal. It has to be better than slopping glue on those surfaces, which will eventually just harden in any old shape you let it conform to, whether it's a good shape or not. A metal shim on the other hand, which has consistent thickness throughout, ensures that the extension has to go into the receiver perfectly straight, and stay that way permanently. I think the 0.004" shimming material worked well for me. And this was after doing a little lapping to true the end, I should also mention.

FWIW, on my uppers I did not need to do any freezing. I just blasted my upper's forward end with a Bernz-o-matic propane torch all around for a few seconds. After that I was able to tap the barrel shim-wrapped extension into the receiver.
                              Brownell's has steel shim stock...

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X