Cantilever mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cantilever mount?

Going to hang a 2.5 x 16 x 50 scope on my first build. Going to use mainly for deer to 300 yards out of climbing or box stand. I am going with the fixed A1 length mags stock. Should I go with the straight or cantilevered mount? Rock river hi rise is what I am looking at for either option. What are the pros and cons of each style mount? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Also anyone know if the shilen upgrade to the entry upper from AA will change with the anticipated new barrels?

Welcome. It depends on how much eye relief your scope and position work out. If we're talking about the Bushnell 2.5-16x50, it has 3.9" of eye relief, which might require a cantilever mount. I think that scope has 80 MOA of elevation travel, which will be 40 MOA of usable elevation IF you get a perfect mechanical/optical zero of the turrets. That will equate to around 11.5 Mils of drop, so if you're able to not take up a bunch of elevation when you zero, you should be good for having plenty of elevation, depending on how far you want to shoot. If you are looking to push out, you might want a 20 MOA base or mount with that cant built-in.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Safest bet is a cantilever mount, which not only allows flexibility with eye relief, but it will also put the scope at the right height above the rail (~1.5").

If you need QD and return-to-zero, look at Bobro, American Defense, and LaRue.

If you don't need QD, there are less expensive alternatives, such as the standard Burris PEPR.
      Drifter

Comment

Larue is expensive ($195) but I've got to admit the return-to-zero feature is addictive. It opens up the usability envelope of the weapon, being able to switch back and forth between short range (holo) and long-range (optic) sights while having confidence that the zero never changed. I just bought a second Larue for my Grendel AR.

Comment

For me the cantilever mount is the way to go. Every scope I tried to mount on my AR using standard rings was as far forward as possible and I ran out of adjustment for proper eye relief. Now that is just me, I'm big for my age.

Scope position is different for every person and every rifle, a lot of variables factor in, a persons size, eye relief of the scope, do you have an adjustable stock if not length of pull, shooting position, ect...

When I figure scope position on a new set-up I shoulder the rifle in the position I'll be using it in to determine where the scope has to be mounted. Once you figure out the position you can see what type of ring & mounts are needed.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Less BUIS, a cantilever mount can always be bumped back on the rail if needed...

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I've got a RRA cantilever mount on my 16" 6.5 Grendel. This is the 1" tube with a Leupold Mark AR 3X9X40 mil dot scope. I got my mount for $50 free shipping but with .0625 % sales tax. This is a very sturdy mount and returns to zero every time I've switched with a red dot. The mount maybe on the heavy side but it should last a lifetime. I must like the RRA mounts since I have 3 of them.

I've excellent service on my RRA products, I read where RRA is introducing a 7.62 X 39 AR but I'd really like to see them add a 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• usmc1371
                Warrior
                • Aug 2011

+1 for cantilever mount.

Comment

Working...
                X