Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

AR Gas Block/FSB Removal Tool

Brownell's has a cool little tool to help remove/replace the gas block.

The problem is, it has been out of stock for awhile. So, does anyone have one they want to sell me? Or, if none for sell, can I borrow one?

I think I can see a need for some AR tools beyond the basics used for assembly. Therefore, I am going to get a vise block for the upper and lower, and an AR armorers wrench. Does anybody want to weight-in on which one to get or should I be getting something else instead?

Thanks,
    michaelmew

I have that B-Store tool. It needs modification, in my opinion. The surface needs circulars built into it for the barrel and rounded profile of FSB's, as well as the low-profile gas blocks. It's a PITA to try to work with it really, but better than just using blocks.

I've always used the receiver clamshell to hold the upper in the vice, but I tape the crap out of my uppers before doing it to protect the finish from minor marring.

Comment

If you have an upper with the carry handle, then you probably do need the clamshell-type blocks that support the receiver when doing barreling operations. I use nothing but flattops now, so when I need to barrel an upper, I simply turn the upper on its side and clamp the rail side and lower side in my vise. I use hardwood blocks to protect the surfaces of the upper. Works like a champ.

The Brownell's block you mentioned looks nice, but I don't think it's necessary. It's easy enough to set the FSB on a wood block with a hole for the pin and then wail away with your BFH (big, fine hammer) and starter punch.

This coming from a guy who whittled his own FAL receiver wrench from a bar of cold rolled 3/4" steel using a drill, hacksaw, and files.

Comment

Working...
      X