6.5 Grendel Piston AR - Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel Piston AR - Finished

Today was the test fire for the first AR-15 build. What makes this build unique is in the title, it's a 6.5 Grendel piston gun. Only put 20 rounds through it, mainly for function check, but there's 480 more where those came from. I'm pretty impressed, after a few rounds to break it in it went without a hitch, pretty good for the first time building I think. Accuracy was pretty good, but since it was mainly for testing today, there wasn't much accuracy testing done. Ammo was Wolf 120 gr MPT.

The plan is to build and sell these rifles as soon as possible, of course the legal things take a bit of time.

Of course, the obligatory gun pics...

• txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Howdy and welcome!

Cool. Looks like a good pig gun to me.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Ninja-1: Welcome to the Horde.

Nice build.
      Could we get more info on your build( barrel maker, trigger, etc.)?

Thanks and good shooting.

Lee

Comment

Sure thing.

Barrel is a Sabre Defence CMV 16"
        Lower came with the trigger, from Tactical Machining, I was impressed by the trigger feel
        Upper is Noveske Chainsaw
        Optic is Leapers UTG and seems very nice for the price

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

• MedicMan218

I'm glad you posted this.
            I'm starting a build and I think I'm leaning towards the Grendel.
            I had been wondering if you could still use a gas piston setup instead of the traditional DI.
            How different is the bolt on a piston gun vs a DI gun?

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

The bolt would be the same but some kits come with bolt carriers and some have a replacement for the gas key.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MedicMan218 View Post
                I'm glad you posted this.
                I'm starting a build and I think I'm leaning towards the Grendel.
                I had been wondering if you could still use a gas piston setup instead of the traditional DI.
                How different is the bolt on a piston gun vs a DI gun?
                There's a discussion about this subject here.

I'm looking to build a long distance rifle using the 6.5 G and a 20 or 24 inch AA barrel. I recently bought a new piston driven AR-15 and love it...mainly the ease of cleaning and how clean and cool the chamber and bolt remain. I'm thinking however, for a rifle that I'd like to reach out and consistently hit its target very
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The bolt is the same, the carrier is different. You can see the difference in this picture DPMS bolt carrier assembly.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X