Mounting a Gas-Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a Gas-Block

When my barrel arrives in a couple of weeks I'll be mounting a Larue Tactical low-profile gas-block. If you've never seen one the block is secured by means of a line of 3 allen-head screws under the barrel, opposite the gas port.

My questions are; will I need to do anything to the (underside) surface of the barrel in order for the screws to maintain their hold? And if it's a matter of just screwing them down (or up) tight, will that negatively affect what happens inside the bore in any way?

I'm thinking that it'll be OK to just screw them in snug (w/ the supplied Loctite) and that it'll have minimal effect on accuracy, but asking gives me something to do while I wait for this pot to boil ...

Comment

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You'll probably be fine but I've never used set screw gas blocks so I couldn't definitively say. If it were mine and I had to use a set screwed block, I'd likely use a V-block to center the barrel under a drill press and dimple it after marking the locations carefully. Probably not necessary, but it'd make me feel better.

ETA: I wouldn't expect any affect on accuracy unless you went crazy on a thin barrel or something like that. You are likely fine.
        Last edited by Variable; 03-12-2012, 02:08 AM.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
        X