• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertFL
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

First build and rebuild

Recently I ordered enough parts to assemble a 350L upper. My two 6.5 Grendels are not legal hunting Rifles in some states I visit. For assembly I had to buy every tool but a vice. I have a 6.5 upper with a 12 inch Group buy Green Mountain barrel from last year. My buddy put it together for me but barrel was not a tight fit in the Aero receiver, he did not shim it at assembly.. So now its my turn...I took it apart, barrel nut did have grease on it. I had some Stainless 0.001 shim stock and Locktite 620 on hand for this rebuild.. I first lapped a spare receiver and 2 other receivers with a Brownell tool. This went well, I made sure to keep the tool well oiled and kept grit out of receiver. Cleaned up the 3 receivers and tool and let them dry.. The Faxon 350 barrel was a snug fit but I used some 620 anyway. I installed the barrel nut with aeroshell grease, crow foot wrench on a breaker bar, snugged it and loosened it 3 times and then final tightened it a torq wrench at 50 ft lbs. After installing the gas block onto the dimpled barrel I realized I had left the port door off...This was my first time so I know there is a learning curve.. No problem, barrel nut off and got door installed and completed the assembly at 55 ft lbs.. It went well and was pretty easy..
    The next day I got the 12 inch Grendel together. I checked the GM barrel and Aero upper with my Mitutoyo dial calipers. It looked like the upper was 0.0015 to 0.002 larger than the barrel extension. I used my good Fiskars shop scissors to cut the 0.001 shim material, shim covered 95% or more of the extension. fit was tight but I did lube it up with some of the 620 and got it in with some effort.. I wiped off excess 620, added more aeroshell grease to nut and receiver threads, torqed barrel nut...And a miracle happened...The nut to hand guard was timed perfect, I mean Perfect.. Last year the barrel nut tightened down to far and we had a hard time getting the 8 screws into the holes, they went in but with some difficulty....Right or wrong this time I added three 0.004 barrel shims to bring hole closer to center of hand guard holes, this worked, screws went right in. I had dimpled the barrel a few days earlier using a Kaw Valley dimpling jig. I got everything assembled including scope, QD and accessory mount for red or green light. I now need to shoot a few rounds and see if groups tightened up a little, there was no problem before but I did want to shim barrel and dimple the barrel. My rifles are for hunting with 99% of my shot less than 75 yards but I still like to have nice tight groups at 100 yards. These 2 uppers were fun and I look forward to assembling 2 more soon..
    Last edited by RobertFL; 08-29-2021, 05:38 PM. Reason: Kaw Valley Jig not KAK jig
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

RobertFL,
    you have now gone over to the dark side. :-) Kind of fun, isn't it. Do let me know what you think of the 350L. seems an interesting (aren't they all?) caliber. I used 609 on my build, not 620. probably doesn't matter between the two of them. on one of my upper builds, i probably should go back and tighten the barrel nut another 1 or 2 degrees to get the handguard perfectly aligned with the upper. maybe another day.

as neither of my uppers have premium quality barrels, more like rack grade barrels, I have to tweak reloads a bunch to find a tight shooting load or two, but that is kind of fun and of course worth the effort.

I think if someone is really serious about getting an extremely accurate AR, they should consider a high quality barrel and build around that.

Have fun, and now that you've come over to the dark side, you may end up with quite a few uppers, perhaps even a couple lowers built in different guises.
    -tdbru

Comment

• RobertFL
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
      RobertFL,
      you have now gone over to the dark side. :-) Kind of fun, isn't it. Do let me know what you think of the 350L. seems an interesting (aren't they all?) caliber. I used 609 on my build, not 620. probably doesn't matter between the two of them. on one of my upper builds, i probably should go back and tighten the barrel nut another 1 or 2 degrees to get the handguard perfectly aligned with the upper. maybe another day.

as neither of my uppers have premium quality barrels, more like rack grade barrels, I have to tweak reloads a bunch to find a tight shooting load or two, but that is kind of fun and of course worth the effort.

I think if someone is really serious about getting an extremely accurate AR, they should consider a high quality barrel and build around that.

Have fun, and now that you've come over to the dark side, you may end up with quite a few uppers, perhaps even a couple lowers built in different guises.
      -tdbru
      So far its been Fun, The worst part has been trying to decide what parts to use and stay in my budget. I agree about the barrel, Between this 6.5 Grendel forum and the 450 BM forum that has been a common comment to guys struggling with accuracy. Pretty sure it was Klem who said "The barrel is the Rifle" . I do not have any premium barrels but have had good luck with a Shaw 450BM barrel and a Faxon 6.5 Grendel Match series barrel. I have shot the 12 inch GM Group buy barrel a few times but have not figured out the correct accurate Factory hunting bullet for it just yet, have tried Maker 85 and 95 grain, Hornady 123SSTs..hoping the lapping and bedding get me there.
      I used to build longbows and recurve bows in my shop as a hobby. Built at least 75 before I had to take a break due to an injury in 2016. The AR thing is new to me Hobby so I'm gonna try it for a while.

Comment

• RobertFL
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Got to the range today, I not a expert marksman just average at best. Started off with the new 350L build, I only had Winchester Defender 160 grain ammo to use. Faxon 16 inch barrel, lapped and 620 bedded into a Aero XL receiver, Adjustable gas block about 3/4 open, Rave 140 curved trigger. I did the shoot then swab for the first 6 shots, single loaded, bolt open after each shot, then 4 or 5 shots and swab barrel "Break In".. No problems with feeding, brass at 4 o'clock.. I went back and forth between 50 yards and 100 yards till I shot 20 rounds. made a adjustment after 10 rounds since I was grouping 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.. I ended up zero at 50 yards and 1 inch high at 100 yards.

I also had the Group buy Grendel Barreled Pistol with me. This was a tear down and reassemble upper., SLA adjustable gas block, Group buy bolt, CMC flat trigger..The newly lapped and shimmed Aero receiver with the GM Group buy 12 inch barrel grouped much better Than when it was not shimmed and lapped. I had some Hornady Factory loaded Gunner HPs and some 123 grain SSTs. I shot a few rounds of the Gunners at 50 yards to sight the scope in, no problem got 5 shots in a quarter sized group. switched over to the SSTs and they shot the same. Shot a few at 100 yards, noted how much better it was shooting now. Went back to shooting SSTs at 50 yards and was happy to see the Grendel is ready for a hog hunt.. I have some 85 and 95 grain Maker TREX ammo but did not try any today.
        I still want to try a few other factory loads but I have no problems hog hunting with the SSTs. I am glad the lapping and bedding tightened up the Grendel groups.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you helped your 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• RobertFL
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

VASCAR2, for me the lapping, the 001 shim around barrel extension and 620 worked well. Now I have much more confidence using this upper for my hog hunting. Our place is thick wetlands and pine plantation with no open fields..so shots are typically under 50 yards. We have so much water on the ground right now that head shots are recommended, so it's best to hunt with a accurate rifle and good ammo.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Florida hunting is no joke when it comes to how thick some of the areas can be and the shots that can be taken, which prompted me to go with 14.5" barrel for mine as really long shots are not the norm.

Comment

• RobertFL
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Lastrites , don't you hate it when a dozen hogs are 10 yards from you in grass or brush and you can't see them.. I was able to shoot a few more rounds at 50 and 100 yards. At 100 yards Factory loaded 123gr SSTs 3 shot group was 1.25 inches, that was better than groups before the lapping and shimming. Took some 50 yard shots with maker 95 grain and the 12 inch barrel just does not like them. I have some 85 grain but did not shoot any thru the 12 inch barrel. I have a 16 inch upper that can shoot them. I have a few of the SSTs and have taken some hogs with them. I shot a large boar last year about 40 yards? thru shield and shoulder and got a pass thru somehow. I plan on trying a few more 6.5 Grendel factory loads thru the 12 inch Green Mountain barrel if I can find some that interest me.. Also shot The 350 L. The 350 Legend does not like 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP ammo at 50 and 100 yards..to bad because they are said to expand well out to 200 yards, no problems with 160 grain Defender and 180 grain power point ammo. I ordered some 160 grain copper ammo from Bear Creek Ballistics to try.

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by RobertFL View Post
                  Lastrites , don't you hate it when a dozen hogs are 10 yards from you in grass or brush and you can't see them...
                  Absolutely spot on and no joke, if you don't like thick, wet and hot one should just think about staying home. lol

My guess is your up in central FL, maybe one day we could attempt to roll a few.

Comment

• RobertFL
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

0912211727b.jpg I should have went this morning.. I checked a couple of cameras this afternoon. This spot is a 1/2 acre"island" I can shoot out to 60 yards here in a couple places. These are not big ones but they will fill a cooler if you shoot enough of them.. They were laying next to the swamp in the shade when I walked up around 12:30, all I heard was them running thru the water..never saw them. This place is in Levy County east of Cheifland. I had my 12 inch 6.5 Grendel Pistol with me with a 10 round magazine of SSTs..I went over to the range and shot a few Gunners and shot some 85 grain Maker bullets. The 12 inch barrel does not like the 95 grain Makers but the 85 grain Makers shot good at 50 yards.
                    Last edited by RobertFL; 09-12-2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Perfect eating size right there and seems to be plenty of them. Conceptually it's hard to understand exactly how thick the swamp and surrounding area can be here in FL until you've been in it.

Comment

• RobertFL
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

sept2021hog.jpg 18th, small boar hog. 24th 8 pt. can not use Grendel till November... then its hog time again sept20218point.jpg
                        Last edited by RobertFL; 09-24-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Going primitive is always rewarding, just something about flinging an arrow at 300+fps to make a blood trail! Tree stand or was this stalking through the brush?

Comment

• RobertFL
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

No way to stalk here, I have ladder stands set up on trails. I used to hunt with a Bow my friend helped me build made from a Osage Orange Stave..then I used modern Recurves..Then I started making Long Bows and Recurves from wood and fiberglass. I got hurt in vehicle wreck and went to compound bow..

Comment

• RobertFL
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

I'm still buck hunting, been letting does walk by..i never let a hog walk by.. We eat 2 deer a year and at least 6-7 hogs. In stand now, signing off...they will be walking soon.. Edit, just got home.....5 minutes after I posted original message I saw water rippling thru the woods about 50 yards away,I was hoping it was gonna be a darn good 8 point that I have on camera or the good 9pt... but no it was this 1.5 year old 7 point, he slowly fed up to me..the acorns are just starting to fall pretty good at this spot (3 hit me on head and arm this afternoon).. and he was getting on them.. If he makes it past other hunters this year then he will look better next year. . he hung around for 20 minutes giving me lots of broad side shot opportunities from 5 yards to 14 yards, he went back into the 5 year old planted pines and later a spike fawn came in, his 1" spikes looked like 1/4 inch drill bits.. alot of our deer rut in late august/early sept so he was likely born march of 2021. When Rifle season opens up I will be all about putting 123 grain SSTs thru hog skulls with my 12 inch Group Buy Grendel.. 7ptsept2021.jpg
                              Last edited by RobertFL; 09-26-2021, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X