• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nismo
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

Adjustable gas block needed?

I seen this question asked but couldnt find one for my issue. So i plan on getting a barrel with a mid length gas system and the gas port is .078 I plan on using an standard buffer tube and buffer weight. Will i need an adjustable gas block for my barrel?
    Last edited by Nismo; 10-12-2021, 10:17 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Nismo View Post
      I seen this question asked but couldnt find one for my issue. So i plan on getting a barrel with a mid length gas system and the gas port is .078 I plan on using an standard buffer tube and buffer weight. Will i need an adjustable gas block for my barrel?
      Some AR rifles are more gas efficient than others. Bolt carrier group specs, gas block fit to the barrel journal, gas port size and the ammunition being used all play a part in optimizing the gas system. Most systems will run fine with the factory gas ports since most barrel manufacturers will over size their gas ports to run the spectrum of the different ammunition available on the market albeit being over gassed with the higher pressure loads. The down side to adj gas blocks is the need to perform maintenance on them so carbon lock doesn't occur and they are also less gas efficient "they leak gas" more than a standard gas block. Adj gas blocks should not be used on pistol length 5.56 barrels as they have a tendency to break apart and are not as strong as a standard gas block. It is easier to fix an over gassed rifle than an under-gassed rifle, which may need the gas port enlarged. Remember, an adj gas block can only decrease the gas port pressure, not increase it. If you think the extra cost and maintenance is worth the effort to optimize your recoil, then go for it, otherwise I would stick with a standard gas block. Heavier buffers can help with an over gassed rifle, but the best method is an adj gas block if performing maintenance on them is not a problem...
      Last edited by montana; 10-13-2021, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Nismo
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2021

Thanks for the insight, i'll go with a normal gas block and see if i have any issues from there. I dont plan on running suppressed any time soon with it and i plan to mainly shoot 123gr rounds

Comment

Working...
        X