Polylithic uppers & such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polylithic uppers & such

I am thinking about upgrading the upper on my Grendel in order to get more rigidity out of the setup. I am trying to address something that I perceive. I recently got to fire a LMT MWS and it just felt really solid when shooting. I then shot my Grendel and it there seemed to be more "vibration" in the rifle which I am thinking could affect accuracy.

Does anyone have one and or any experience with these in their builds?

No, but something else to consider is a true monolithic upper from Mega for less cost. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1861

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Opus Dei View Post
      No, but something else to consider is a true monolithic upper from Mega for less cost. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1861
      +1. Mega monolithic is good stuff.
      Drifter

Comment

• leopard6.5

crispy: +1 on the Mega Monolithic upper especially if you use a foregrip as pulling on the foregrip to pull the rifle into your shoulder can cause flex in a non-monolithic upper.

I actually got mine from AA but as was mentioned, there are several places to get them.
        Just make sure you get the necessary barrel nut and tightening socket.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

I have been looking at Mega... I am leaning towards them, has anyone used their Monolithic upper for a Grendel build? If you have used them what are your thoughts? Thanks for the input everyone!

Comment

• leopard6.5

crispy: I've got a Mega monolithic upper ( actually that's the brand AA uses that you see on their website) on my build which I bought through AA when I purchased some other parts.

I used a Satern Spartan( back before they changed chambers to the LBC) 18" barrel.
            I found it very easy to assemble and it is definitely rigid. Plenty of rail space and QD holes to mount a sling.
            I would use another one if I was going to do another build.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Lee

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I have a Grendel in a Mega monolithic. Second Mega monolithic upper that I've used for build. Looking for a third, but it seems that there are no rifle-length quad versions to be found. Word is that another production run is expected to be completed in 4 to 6 weeks. Midlengths are easier to find at the moment.
              Drifter

Comment

If money wasn't an issue, and I were building a Grendel from scratch, I would use the rifle-length Mega Monolithic upper with clean tube. This would be for a target gun of hefty weight.

Comment

I hear you Drifter, I cannot seem to find a rifle length one either.. anyone have one they want to part with?

Comment

One of my officer friends has one he likes it. The only con he had was if you damaged the rail in some way which was an eyesore, you dont just scrap the rail you have to scrap the whole thing receiver and all since its connected. But that was his only con. Other than that he said he likes it. But he has other guns that arent using a monolithic that shoot just as good. I dont think its really needed. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the say.

Keith

Comment

VLTOR makes one too, and I have two, one rifle and one mid length. They are made VERY heavy duty, and I like them.

Comment

Working...
                      X