• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Adjustable gas blocks

Having used and evaluated many adj gas blocks through out the years I have a pretty good perspective on their strengths and weaknesses. I take a different approach from many by preferring to monitor the gas to control BCG velocity, while using the lightest buffer possible to mitigate recoil impulse. The common opinion is to use an H or H2 buffer, but the down side is the heavier the recoiling mass, the heavier the recoil impulse.. I have my favorite adj gas blocks as others, but my opinion has always been based on the quality, performance, ease of maintenance, ease of repair, ease of adjustment and effectiveness..My favorite for a long time has been the SLR, but they are not perfect and have the same weakness as the others I have tried. The common weakness has always been the springs, accessing the adjuster with a tool and the ability to repair and replace parts. Every gas block I have used that has a spring will eventually fail, including the SLR leaf spring..The SLR leaf spring has held up great compared to the coil spring designs I have used, but they will fail with a high round count. SLR has always replaced their parts and even the entire block for free when this happens, but I always wished there was a better option.. I have recently discovered a new design I'm going to be testing called the Rifle Speed that looks like a game changer..It is quite expensive and needs a proprietary straight gas tube, but takes a different and a better approach to adj gas blocks in my opinion. The simplicity of the design and maintenance may well be the adj gas block I have been looking for..With the Rifle speed adj gas block, there is no need to carry an allen wrench or other tool for adjustment. With this design it is easy to access for quick adjustments for ammunition changes, cold weather or when using a suppressor.. Of course when using any gas block the importance of the QC and fit with the barrel journal is a major concern, so I will be testing this new adj gas block this year and will give a summary of my findings...

• mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Damn! Pricey is right. Gas tube sold separately I presume. If it works as good as it looks I suppose price is a little less critical. Looking forward to your report.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
      After watching the video I feel this may sill be a concern for you. That wavy washer is a spring is it not? The part that goes on at the 30 second mark.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
        After watching the video I feel this may sill be a concern for you. That wavy washer is a spring is it not? The part that goes on at the 30 second mark.
        https://www.riflespeed.com/RS-Replac...gers_p_14.html

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
          If I can get 5000 rounds without any broken springs let alone their claim of 10,000 to 25000 rounds will be a win for me...
          .https://www.riflespeed.com/RS-Replac...gers_p_14.html
          Montana,

That round count would be the life of most AR's which is more than reasonable. If a recoil spring can last that long there's no reason why a gas block spring can't do the same.

It looks like a good idea.

Klem

Comment

• myrifle
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

I will be ordering 24 of them very soon.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bonas
                Warrior
                • Mar 2022

That does look like it has potential. It's kind of surprising no one has really nailed an adjustable gas block for ARs. I recently put a Strike Industries collar adjustable block on a build. I like it it. It's too new to say how it will hold up. It's easily adjusted through the handgaurd with any sort of punch, allen wrench, etc. It's not perfect, but I like it better than screw adjustable blocks.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

I had a full auto dealer sample FN FAL in the early 80's that started short stroking and finally quit as the adj gas system loosened up and needed replacement.. There are pro's and cons to any adj gas system and all adj gas systems need maintenance..

Comment

• PNWTargets
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

Comment

• IlliniFan
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2022

I shoot my 12.5", 16", and 20" 6.5 Grendel ARs suppressed with Dead Air Sandman-S. All run great with an H2 buffer (12.5" and 16" with Geissele Super 42 Spring, 20" with JP SCS H2). Fixed gas block on the 12.5", SLR Sentry adjustable gas blocks on the other two.

When initially test firing the 12.5" pistol without a suppressor the H2 buffer was a bit too much for it to cycle reliably. H1 buffer worked great without a suppressor.
                          Last edited by IlliniFan; 05-15-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• TruLbrt
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2020

Happy with SLR 100%. I can have quick access to the adjustable gas metering screw by choosing a rail length that leaves the screw at the open end of the rail. I would build a lightweight rig with intention to save weight everywhere, lw bcg included, and not offset with a fat rail or gasblock, etc. The collared adj gas block will just make the build muzzle heavy too.

Comment

• Growler
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2019

Hey Montana,

Curious what your experience with this product has been. How many rounds do you have through this system? Any surprises?

This seems like a very smart design in the tool-free adjustment space. If one expects to be using a wide range of bullet weights or both suppressed and unsuppressed, this would be very helpful.

Interested in the gas control. Given the wavy spring loaded pin is a unique design, did it give predictable control over gas as you made adjustments to dial it in?

Any assembly issues?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X