• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Buffer recommendation on 10.5 build

I just purchased a new, old stock 10.5" Alexander Arms barrel. These were sold in the 2011-2012 time frame as part of the Tactical series of rifles. Chromed-lined, fixed triangle sight post, carbine LGS, old school. Exactly what steel case was made for. I purchased stripped upper and AA branded lower to build a kind of tribute to AA and the Grendel cartridge. "AK ballistics in a 10.5" barrel" is how Bill A. described it.

I'm looking for advice on buffer weight. What's the best guess?

EDIT: This is pretty embarrassing. There are a TON of threads on buffers and springs. I've also emailed AA asking for their advice. Still some difference of opinion on whether a H3 is needed if unsurpressed.
    Last edited by biodsl; 04-15-2022, 11:31 AM.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

If you happen to be installing an adjustable gas block, you will probably be fine with either an H2 or H3. If it were me, that's what I'd do, but then again, I'd be suppressing it.

Comment

• myrifle
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Jp gen 2 scs is what you seek.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I like JP SCS, but you may need to add heavier tungsten weights depending on how your rifle is gassed...https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS-TUNGSTEN

If you prefer the standard recoil spring and buffer, then I would go with Sprinco... https://www.sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html

The heavier the buffer or stiffer the recoil spring, the slower the bolt carrier velocity and vice versa...Ejection patterns can be a good indicator for using the proper buffer weight, spring buffer combo...https://www.sprinco.com/SPRINCO-DOCS...ry%20Chart.pdf

Now to answer your question LOL, It all depends on how your rifle is gassed... I can run my rifles with a standard carbine buffer with no problem, as I use adj gas blocks... A carbine Grendel with a standard gas block as yours, I would go no lower than the H-1. You should be able to run the H-2 buffer or even the H3 with no problem... Once again, it all depends on how your rifle is gassed...

To say which weight buffer is best without knowing how the rifle is gassed, the condition and weight of the recoil spring or even if the rifle is with in spec can be a shot in the dark...

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
          If you happen to be installing an adjustable gas block, you will probably be fine with either an H2 or H3. If it were me, that's what I'd do, but then again, I'd be suppressing it.
          This is an old school barrel with a fixed, triangle site post. An adjustable block is not in the cards for this one.
          Paul Peloquin

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

This RCA adjustable gas key is a great alternative to more expensive gas adjustment components. This gas key will achieve the same result at a fraction of the cost. ​
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-16-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

We're off and running. The upper consists of the aforementioned AA 10.5 inch barrel. If I have my facts right, these chrome-lined barrels were build by Sabre Defence for Bill. AA Grendel branded upper. Continuing to test the PF bolt carrier with a SixFive Arms bolt. The handguard is a Midwest Industries two piece free float. Flash hider is a period-correct AAC.

10five_sm.jpg
              Paul Peloquin

Comment

Working...
              X