• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarmerDave
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

New barrel, weird issue

I'm going to put this here for answers, criticism, laughter, whatever.

Bought a new Proof 20" stainless with plans to build a new upper, a long range hunter and something that I can use to reach out to distance with confidence. After the mental debate as to whether or not to spend the $$$ on a Proof, decided to buy once, cry once, and ordered it from a online discount retailer. It arrived yesterday. Opened the package last night, and found something that makes me scratch my head. The barrel has a fair bit of what appears to be surface corrosion around the base of the barrel. Nothing pitted that I can tell, but I haven't cleaned it up either in case it needs to be returned for inspection. Scratching a fingernail over it and it drags, but can't feel any big surface issues.

Proof Corrosion resized.jpg

Not the best pic, I know, but didn't want to remove from packaging just yet. From what I can see, the corrosion is only on the outside of the barrel. The end, and chamber area look clean and shiny from what I can tell. The discoloration on the plastic really appears to be iron oxide, weird for a stainless barrel.

Sooo.... here is the question: Has anyone seen this before? Is this a 'call and return it', or is this something that can be cleaned up and not affect the accuracy? My biggest concern is that area is critical to fit and therefore accuracy. Right, or am I off-base here?

Dave
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

i would return it
    but also, i am not sure if the barrel extensions are stainless
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• FarmerDave
      Bloodstained
      • May 2020

Ahhh.....that thought of the extension being a different material never crossed my mind. That's why I asked!

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

as i said i am not sure if they are, they may be. since 400 series is usually magnetic, you cant do a magnet test
        do you have and xrf machine per chance? lol
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• myrifle
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Extensions are typically not the same steel as the barrel.

That is nothing to worrie about. Clean it off and get too building that thing and go rock it.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I don't like the looks of it.
            Lot of barrel extensions are nitrided, I don't know if Proof does that but lots of higher-end ones do...
            So if some kind of nitrided/nickel-boron or other coating was put on then the looks of that one, means something is wrong, because that kind of coating should be virtually corrosion-free/hard to deface.

Give them a call and email a pic at least. That's what I would do. If the vendor won't answer it then get hold of Proof, pretty sure they would want a look-see.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• mv1arms
              Bloodstained
              • May 2019

I own a proof stainless 20" grendel. Return your barrel immediately. That is not right. My extension was shiny stainless steel.

Comment

• FarmerDave
                Bloodstained
                • May 2020

I don't like it either. Rolled it around on my workbench for a while today and the more I did, the less I like what I see.

That fit should be TIGHT to the upper, and it's unlikely that solvent will take care of it and will need to use steel wool or something that could remove some material and affect the fit. For an upper that I'm building to be as accurate as possible, I really don't want to start with a substandard part.

Called the source this afternoon and they wanted pics. Good that they are taking a look at, but who knows what they will come up with.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-22-2022, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by mv1arms View Post
                    I own a proof stainless 20" grendel. Return your barrel immediately. That is not right. My extension was shiny stainless steel.
                    What he ^ said mine was shiny also.

Comment

• FarmerDave
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2020

It's going back. Shipped it this morning. They are going to exchange it.

Attached a couple more pics just to show what's going on in case anyone else runs into this issue.

20220421_152128.jpg

20220421_152159.jpg

20220421_152104.jpg

Comment

• Growler
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

These closer looks... sure looks like salt corrosion to me.
                          Glad they're replacing it for you.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Dt219
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2020

Comment

Working...
                            X