• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shooter31
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

SBR/pistol 6.5 grendel build?

I'm thinking of building a grendel for hunting in a say 12 inch barrel.
    1.Who makes a accurate 12" (give or take) barrel?
    2.Plan on using 123gr sst which are picky on barrel brands. I really don't like accuracy over 1moa would like 1/2.
    3.Would shoot suppressed, what are good powder choices?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

My 12" is a krieger from precision firearms. I have 8 shot groups under .6 moa with handloads. Call mark because he usually has left over short blanks he can turn out quick.

Comment

• BlogSarge
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Comment

• Bonas
        Warrior
        • Mar 2022

If you really want .5 moa, you ought to get a cut rifled barrel. If you go that route, you might not have it for hunting season.

Precision Firearms is slow. Be prepared to wait longer than you're told the lead time will be.

Towards the end of 2021, I tried to get a Bartlein or Kreiger from Compass Lake Engineering. They didn't expect enough blanks to fill new orders any time soon from either company. I went with a button rifled Douglas blank and have been pleased with it. Lead time was 12 weeks. It's pretty new, but has produced a sub .6" group with handloads, .8" with factory 123 ELDMs.

I do have a 12.5" Satern Liberty that can get under 1" with 123 ELDMs. It's perfectly serviceable for hunting. For a hunting build, I'd do this barrel again, no problem. You'll want an adjustable gas block though. Liberties' ports are big.

I have not found 123 grain SSTs to shoot well, so you might not want to get too wed to that bullet. I don't like any cannelured bullets for accuracy. They seem fussier to get shooting real well.

I've liked what I've seen from H335, in limited load development time. It's relatively available right now. Availability will drive your powder choice for the foreseeable future.
        Last edited by Bonas; 05-01-2022, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• Shooter31
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

What about faxon 5r match, or satern barrels? (And bolts)

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Keep in mind that a 12" bbl rig nominally is going to be a sub 300 yard rig, and likely less. In that setting, 0.5MOA and 2 MOA is pragmatically the same efficacy.
            4x P100

Comment

Working...
            X