• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Two Tone
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2022

Which scope mount?

Looking to scope the 6.5 builds.....never actually owned a scoped rifle.

Plan is to hunt deer in WV so, what scope mount?

Thanks!
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

TT,

Is it a bolt gun or an AR?

Comment

• PVBoom
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Budget? Is weight a factor?

Comment

• Tx264
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2018

On a budget for an ar.
        Leopold mark ar
        Warne skell 20moa

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

In general, I personally think you don't really need to buy a 3-figure scope mount, to have a good scope mount. Though obviously that's rarely a bad idea. The biggest item I've found with the budget no-name mounts, is actually the screws, which will stretch out due to the cherap steel there.

In general, I prefer one-piece mounts if I can, as that decreases the number of separate varables. And always push the mount forward while tightening, as that's what the recoil is going to be doing. Also, have a care not to overtorque, as that creates problems in some scopes as well (learned that one the hard way, though fortunately reversible).

For my Grendels, I tend to run UTG light weight mounts or Hirman. The one I like best right now, is actually this one:

Light weight, inexpensive, but the screws are actually very good, and more importantly, they use steel inserts (of good quality even), for the screws to thread into with the HIRAM, which I like. Most just thread the aluminum directly, and aluminum can stretch and creep over time.

you can buy and do better if you want, but cost effective does OK....
          Running a UTG on this one:

I'd say that's working out pretty good.
          4x P100

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

TT,
            This might not help much, but it depends on what kind of build you're after. My opinions:

on my LR upper (24" HB) I did go with a 20MOA cantilever mount similar to what LE is running and put a 6.5-20 Leupy on that setup. Flat top AR. pros/cons -> not minimal weight, but since a LR upper, weight was not a primary concern to me. cheek weld -> scope ocular still a little higher than I like, but you do have the 20 MOA thing going for LR

on my light weight build (for a 20" Faxon Gunner) mostly hunting and not a LR getting setup, i just used Leupy Med rings and anchored them down to the 1913 Rail on the flattop. put a fixed Leupold FX-2 4x28 (if I recall only 8oz. scope). goal of the build was a LW upper and just rings down on the rail with a LW scope works pretty well. Used Leupy backcountry cross slots ring for reduced weight too. with tight cheek weld, eye and scope line up nicely.

So... depends on the focus of your build.

so on 1 upper I went for a LR focus and it's heavy. the other upper was LW focus and the scope setup is minimal but light weight.

if you're just doing a hunting build, you may not need a 20MOA cantilever mount. some backcountry Med or High cross slot rings with a lighter weight scope may be better suited for your hunting build. And most scopes will have more than adequate internal adjustment range for shooting out to 400 yards with the 6.5 Grendel without a MOA mount. Since the 6.5 Grendel has minimal recoil, a lighter weight upper for hunting was attractive for me. I'm fine with a heavy upper for LR target shooting, but made a 2nd upper to get very light rifle with 20" tube and RLGS with standard weight BCG for hunting.

so for a LR build a 20 MOA cantilever mount plus big glass seems appropriate. for a LW build, cross slot rings and a LW scope seem the more logical way to go to me.

See, I'm no help at all on telling you what you need. But I hope my response helps you think through your goals with the rifle. And I assumed you're working on an AR build. If a bolt gun, then there are other choices to make. There you'll have to go with a ring and base or ringmount option that fit's your bolt gun.

Good luck with your build! And good luck with the deer hunting too!
            -tdbru

Comment

• Two Tone
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2022

Sorry, didn't realize I could have been more detailed.

Building a set of hunting rifles with the wife. WV hunting, whitetail deer.

Especially for the wife, weight is a factor (she's petite).

Want something that will hold common scopes.

Don't need the best of the best but don't want the cheapest thing either.

Comment

• Bonas
                Warrior
                • Mar 2022

I'm a big fan of DNZ mounts. They're light, reasonably priced, and rock-solid.

Comment

• -Justin-
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2017

For AR platform you want a 1-piece cantilever mount. Not being concerned with quick detach, long-range,
                  or high recoil any of the options will work fine, just make sure the diameter is right for the
                  scope you want to get.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Two Tone View Post
                    Sorry, didn't realize I could have been more detailed.

Building a set of hunting rifles with the wife. WV hunting, whitetail deer.

Especially for the wife, weight is a factor (she's petite).

Want something that will hold common scopes.

Don't need the best of the best but don't want the cheapest thing either.
                    TT,

Are these rifles AR's or bolt guns?

Comment

• Dt219
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2020

Dnz

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by -Justin- View Post
                        For AR platform you want a 1-piece cantilever mount. Not being concerned with quick detach, long-range,
                        or high recoil any of the options will work fine, just make sure the diameter is right for the
                        scope you want to get.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTe...mount&sortBy=5
                        Don't waste your money
                        This is the first time leaving a review. This product is junk. Tried to mount to specified torque using my Wheeler Digital Fat Wrench and got halfway and the screws stripped out on 2 different holes. Specified 15-18 and they stripped at 9 in-lbs. Seemed really cheaply made. Not what I expected with the Wheeler name. As always, Midway was super fast for shipping and return was very simple. Love Midway!!! Just not this product unfortunately.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CJW
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tx264
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2018

Great mount.own some.
                              Just wish they had a 20moa version.

Comment

Working...
                              X