• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2jokerswild
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2022

Recommendations for a premium barrel?

Looking to build an 18" Grendel for hunting and varmint work. Lighter the better for the barrel. Thinking of either a Wilson or AA barrel. Thoughts between these two? Other options I should consider?

Thanks!
  • Modoc
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2022

What is your platform? AR, Howa 1500 Mini, Ruger, or other?

I have been partial to Shilen and Compass Lake, but have been looking at 6.5 Outfitters for my AR build.

Comment

• 2jokerswild
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2022

Originally posted by Modoc View Post
      What is your platform? AR, Howa 1500 Mini, Ruger, or other?

I have been partial to Shilen and Compass Lake, but have been looking at 6.5 Outfitters for my AR build.
      Wow, kind of an important point I left out! This is for an AR15 platform. Compass Lake makes top of the line barrels no doubt, but the offerings they have I think are on the heavier side unfortunately.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Precision firearms. It might take a while but you won't be disappointed

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Scouttracker
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2022

I have 4 McGowan barrels. And love everyone of them . Two were threaded for a suppressor, the other two I have McGowan Radial brakes on them.
            " He who angers you ! Controls you !"

Comment

• Bonas
              Warrior
              • Mar 2022

Call Compass Lake. They'll likely turn whatever profile you want. They'll also meet the lead time they quote you, and won't charge you until they do the work. They call you to tell you they're starting, and your charge is coming. Be wary of any barrel finisher that charges you in full upfront.

While I know people here like them, I had a very bad experience when trying to get a barrel out of Precision Firearms. I eventually had to cancel the order and do a chargeback.

My light profile barels shift POI when hot more than heavy ones. I'm sure some don't, but that hasn't been my experience. Depending on your firing volume for varmints, that might be something to think about.

Comment

• jasper2408
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

While I know people here like them, I had a very bad experience when trying to get a barrel out of Precision Firearms. I eventually had to cancel the order and do a chargeback.
                I have had my rifle setting at PF for 2 years since March 2021 getting rebarreled. Rather than say anything I might regret I will leave it at that. I am the idiot that paid upfront.

I have all of the emails from the very first one to the last one between me and PF. I recommend keeping all of your email communications with whoever you get your barrel from as you then have proof of what you agreed to and what you didn't agree to.
                Last edited by jasper2408; 02-08-2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X