Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65G_Sethum

Buffer and buffer spring?

Im just wondering what buffer and buffer spring would yall recommend. I know i should go with a heavier buffer. I plan on starting out with the regular collapsible stock and i will eventually get the magpul PRS. Also what lower should I get, I kind of want the Spikes tactical zombie lower but I have been looking at the mega arms lower.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

If you're planning an eventual change to a PRS stock, you might be better served to get a fixed A1/A2-length stock initially. The PRS requires a rifle-length buffer tube, buffer, and spring. If you start out with a carbine-length buffer system (collapsible stock), then you'll be buying the same parts all over again for the PRS.
    Drifter

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thank you for telling me this, im a noob. I think in that case i will just wait and buy the prs stock from the start.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Seth you will be ok with weight of the rifle length buffer.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks, i was just wondering because people were talking about how they use a heavy buffer. Also I've heard some talk about people using a bcg from an m16 because they are heavier would i be ok using just an ar15 bcg?

Comment

If you haven't bought the BCG yet definetly get the M-16 bolt carrier, with the Grendel, it helps extraction and tame the recoil/cycling impulse.

Comment

• MrDraco
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by 65G_Sethum View Post
              Thanks, i was just wondering because people were talking about how they use a heavy buffer. Also I've heard some talk about people using a bcg from an m16 because they are heavier would i be ok using just an ar15 bcg?
              The comments about using a heavier buffer is for those using a carbine length buffer, not a rifle length buffer such as yourself.

You will need a M16 bcg for the Grendel. The AR15 bcg is designed for 223 and other rounds with lower recoil then the Grendel.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

With a rifle-length buffer system, standard rifle buffer often works just fine. With a carbine system, H3 carbine buffer is recommended more than any other.

With either buffer system, M16 carrier is recommended (but not required).

An adjustable gas block can be tuned for good results with more variations of BCG, buffer, and spring, and is a good choice if someone already has parts onhand that differ from what's recommended.
                Drifter

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks again everyone for the great info. I plan on getting a spikes tactical M16 bcg.

Comment

• rasp65
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
                    The comments about using a heavier buffer is for those using a carbine length buffer, not a rifle length buffer such as yourself.

You will need a M16 bcg for the Grendel. The AR15 bcg is designed for 223 and other rounds with lower recoil then the Grendel.
                    The M-16 carrier was also designed for the 223.

Comment

The various "AR15" bolt carriers came about initially because Colt decided to go above and beyond making its civilian SP-1's incapable of FULL AUTO fire. In addition to making lower receivers without the AUTO sear pin hole, they made the upper so that the AUTO sear couldn't fit between a lower and upper, by exluding the recess for the AUTO sear. They also shaved the bottom off of the rear of the bolt carrier, in case someone cut a sear pin hole, and dropped in a full auto fire control group, so the bolt carrier still won't trip the auto sear. I think it was a bit overkill, since anyone who was going to professionally convert an AR15 to select-fire back then would utilize the services of a knowledgeable machinist, which was done often back before the 1986 NFA came about.

The AR15 was originally built around the .222 Remington cartridge, which was found to not be capable of meeting the steel helmet penetration requirement at 500yds, so they blew the shoulder forward, lengthened the case a bit, and made the .222 Special, which became known as the .223 Remington.

The M16 bolt carrier weight is balanced off the original rifle-length gas system, which had a much lighter Edgewater buffer, which was found to not have enough weight to counteract the gas impulse of the IMR powder. The buffer was updated to the rifle-length version we all are familiar with now, weighing in at 5.2oz.

The Grendel case capacity is a bit more than the .223, and pushes significantly heavier projectiles with more bearing surface, thus needing as much resistance as possible in the bolt carrier and buffer system. This is why most users have the best results with M16 weight carriers.

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

That was a very detailed response and i thank you for my new knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X