Clear All
  • Usafa71
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Help with build- barrel, gas tube, etc

• Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I would get my barrel from precision firearms. My 12" krieger shoots 8 shot 0.6 moa groups. I don't see the point in an 18" barrel other then "because that's what i want". A 16" will hit steel out to 500 np and the extra 2" isn't going to change much.

If your going to shoot suppressed i would go with some sort of adjustable gas. Either with the block or a bootleg adjustable bolt carrier. To me the cost of an adjustable gas block makes it a no brainer to get anyway.

Comment

• Usafa71
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2017

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

The only bullet over 123 that I would consider, hunting wise, is the 129 nosler ablr.
          100-115 in lead free, 120-123 class for cup/core, hunting wise.
          But I bang my steel with bigger cartridges so there is that. These are my choosins'.

Personally I have settled on most of my barrels as 20", I didn't like the blast and kick from the 16" that I had, and 20" has nodes that I can easily find.

Like said above, the barrel price depends on what you want to spend -- wait a minute!!! with that cheaper barrel you wind up spending more $$ on bullets, loads and gas for trips to the range. So your "barrel cost" as it were, is the same or higher for that cheeper barrel. I know I have gone that route in the past.
          Barrel, trigger, scope/optics. These are the money parts. the rest just hold stuff together.

I suggest a lilja if you want to get it right away, they pretty much have barrels on their webite. Or if you can wait, then precision firearms...
          Longer delivery times for krieger/bartlein but they are darn fine barrels. Others are decent to be sure but a step down from these ones.
          I got a lilja 20", the 740 model (among others lol), but I don't plan on hiking over hill and dale like I did in my younger years lol. A 20" rig weighs about 9.5 lbs if you build it out right.
          You can always add an adjustable gas block later, so far I have not needed it much for the grr even though I have a couple agb's on the shelf.

If you do go 18" then definitely get the rifle length gas. The shorter gas length has had troubles with getting the gas right. 18 or 20, rifle length for sure.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Usafa71
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2017

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

DetailsThis rifle scope is part of the mid-tier optics line called GLx. GLx brings premium technology and materials into an approachable price range.Building on the features of our award-winning GLx rifle scopes, the GLx 3-18x44mm FFP Rifle Scope brings premium optical performance to a versatile new magnification range. Whether your target is at 100 yards or 1000, this scope gives you the flexibility and performance to adapt, ensuring precision at almost any distance.Features:3-18x Magnification44mm objective3.5" of eye relief34mm main tube180 MOA Elevation adjustmentHigh strength one-piece 6061-T6 aluminum bodyCompact design is 13.66" long and weighs just 29.6 OzPremium grade glassPatented turret mechanismsSteel-on-Steel precision adjustmentsTactile and audible 1/10 MIL click valueLocking turrets protect your zeroIntegrated return-to-zeroAutoLive illuminated reticleElevation Rotation IndicatorsDovetail Magnification Levers (UML compatible)First Focal Plane Apollo .308/6.5GR reticleLifetime warrantyThis GLx 3-18x44 rifle scope features extended range patented turrets with a full 180 MOA of elevation adjustment! Each movement of the turret will provide a crisp, audible, and tactile 0.1 MIL click that will never wear out thanks to the tough steel-on-steel construction! Externally, these locking turrets feature a high speed return to zero, ensuring that once your zero is set you won't have to worry about bumps or the environment making unintended changes to your turrets. The return to zero feature allows shooters to rapidly return to their elevation to 'Zero' after dialing out for long-range engagements without having to keep track of the adjustments you made to get out there in the first place. Not sure where you left your elevation the last time you were at the range? Not only can you simply return your scope to your set Zero, the elevation turret features elevation rotation indicators to get you back on track at a glance.The smooth magnification ring comes with a magnification lever installed. This lever features the dovetail attachment style allowing you to swap to the folding UML magnification lever if you choose. Optional upgrades and alternatives are on the way as well, allowing users to customize their scope to meet their needs.This 3-18x44mm GLx scope is equipped with the first focal plane ACSS APOLLO .308/6.5 Grendel reticle, simply the ultimate option for .308 Winchester or 6.5 Grendel shooters available. Simply sight in at 100 yards and you are ready to engage at any range out to 1,000 yards with crosswinds up to 20 mph, all without requiring any math or touching a single turret. Combine the built-in range estimation and hold overs with an infinitely precise chevron tip aiming point and .2 MIL crosshair subtensions, and you have a firing solution at any distance.See More

Comment

• Usafa71
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

VASCAR2- thank you. I have experience with Primary Arms, and their scopes, all positive. Will have to compare 308vs 6.5G trajectories, but at least I have a starting point.

Comment

• garikfox
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2023

Aero Precision 18". Supposedly Aero Precision makes all the parts for Daniel Defense. Can't go wrong with that

WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm
                  CMMG 5.7x28mm 16", AERO X15 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, MEOPTA OPTIKA5 2-10x42mm
                  RUGER-5.7 / GLOCK 43 / GLOCK 19 Gen5

Comment

• Bonas
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2022

I got a Grendel Douglas-blanked barrel from Compass Lake Engineering that shoots very well. .6 to .8 moa groups are commonplace. They delivered right when they said they would, with excellent follow-up and communication along the way.

The big jump in blanks is from button-rifled to cut-rifled. Kreiger, Bartlein, and Satern are the only cut-rifled Gendel blanks I know of.

Compass Lake has been known as among the very best barrel finishers for decades.

Comment

• Bonas
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by garikfox View Post
                      Aero Precision 18". Supposedly Aero Precision makes all the parts for Daniel Defense. Can't go wrong with that

Aero does not make all of Daniel Defense's parts. I don't think they make any, in fact. Daniel Defense has their own cold hammer forge. They forge their own barrels. I have nothing against Aero. I have plenty of Aero upper receivers, in fact. However, Aero is a mid-range producer. Ballistic Advantage makes Aero's barrels. I've also got several BA barrels. They're also a mid-range product. Aero bought BA a few years back.
                      Last edited by Bonas; 05-14-2023, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• garikfox
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2023

Oh okay good to know thanks
                        WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm
                        CMMG 5.7x28mm 16", AERO X15 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, MEOPTA OPTIKA5 2-10x42mm
                        RUGER-5.7 / GLOCK 43 / GLOCK 19 Gen5

Comment

Working...
                        X