• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Konocti's Wigwam
    Warrior
    • Sep 2023

6.5 Grendel Pig Pistol

EDIT: when I first created this thread, I posted a picture of what looked like a short barrel rifle, rather than a pistol.

grendel-pistol-12.jpg
    Last edited by Konocti's Wigwam; 03-07-2024, 10:54 PM.
    From my cold dead endmill...
  • stonehog
    Warrior
    • Oct 2021

Watch the brake on Grendel pistol length barrels. I got through a few shots before I thought my eyes were going to pop. Lot's of shock to the retinas. I ended up with a Witt Machine SME on my pistols which makes them reasonable. A suppressor would be ideal (on the list...). Also - wondering why this build is so heavy? My 12" Odin albeit light barrel probably weighs in at 5 lbs. Will have to check it, but over 7 sounds like a normal carbine weight.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by stonehog View Post
      Also - wondering why this build is so heavy? My 12" Odin albeit light barrel probably weighs in at 5 lbs. Will have to check it, but over 7 sounds like a normal carbine weight.
      Stonehog...Building a 5 lb. AR is easy. Building a 5 lb. AR with a LPVO is impossible. What optic are you using?

I just weighed my 12" build. It comes in at 5 lbs., 1 ounce. My LPVO adds 20 ounces. That's with a Aero Ultralight mount which I'm not sure will hold up long term. It would be even heavier with a more durable mount.

I'm considering a Primary Arms 3X prism so I can have a true 5.5 pound pistol.

Side note: my pencil barreled 14.5 pinned What Would Stoner Do rifle is within an ounce of my 12" Grendel pistol.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Nothing Special? All Grendel pig pistols are special....

I had one I hunted with for several years, sold it two years ago and miss it. Soon to build another one now that the political winds are moving in our favor.

Comment

• stonehog
          Warrior
          • Oct 2021

I have the Primary Arms 3x prism on it - nice and small and light. No brace, either - strike industries pistol tube.

Comment

• stonehog
            Warrior
            • Oct 2021

Light ARs are nice! Hoping to one day take mine out for deer if I can find someplace to do this in WA state and a reliable hunting partner. Plenty of places to hike about, and I can easily hit a 200 yd small IPSC with the pistol. That 12" Odin is my most accurate barrel (so far).

Comment

• stonehog
              Warrior
              • Oct 2021

Light one

GrendelOdin.png

Comment

• YardArm
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2023

Get a can, man. Brakes on SBR are brutal.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2023

Watch the brake on Grendel pistol length barrels. I got through a few shots before I thought my eyes were going to pop. Lot's of shock to the retinas. I ended up with a Witt Machine SME on my pistols which makes them reasonable. A suppressor would be ideal (on the list...). Also - wondering why this build is so heavy? My 12" Odin albeit light barrel probably weighs in at 5 lbs. Will have to check it, but over 7 sounds like a normal carbine weight.
                  I had created this thread, but removed the pic, but I will be honest. The short barrel with a brake is the one thing that could be considered grey area in California, but if it's a pistol it shouldn't have that restriction. I placed a pic of my 12" Grendel with a Sparrow grip on it and a cheek weld on the buffer tube. I plan to shoot it on either a bipod or tripod when hunting.

I think I'm ok to put a normal pistol grip on my pistol but not sure if it's legal or not.

It's a shame how they make us contort ourselves and infringe us in order to even use a firearm, let along have a right.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2023

Light ARs are nice! Hoping to one day take mine out for deer if I can find someplace to do this in WA state and a reliable hunting partner. Plenty of places to hike about, and I can easily hit a 200 yd small IPSC with the pistol. That 12" Odin is my most accurate barrel (so far).
                    To date the 6.5 Grendel has been the most forgiving to reload. I'm currently using 6.8 SPC magazines, but only have 2 mags. I was looking on SixFixOutfitter.com but didn't see any magazines. I'm in a similar situation down in California, possibly worse than you up in WA, but things are going to change, IMO.

That's a nice looking pistol! I have a red dot on my 300 blackout pistol.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2023

As a comparison, these are 3 pistol configurations.

300 blackout (NO bipod)

300-aac-blackout-7.5.jpg

6.5 Grendel (NO bipod)

grendel-pistol-12.jpg

8.6 blackout (NO scope)

86-blackout-12.jpg

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2023

Made some changes to my pistols, and think I'm going to leave them this way, but I keep wafflin' between the 12" barrel vs the 16". The odd thing is that my OD green grip only wants to fit the AR-15 and the FDE fits the LR-308, so I swapped the buffer tubes around so these are color coordinated. I have to be color coordinated when I knock game down.

The entire concept that this is a pistol should imply that the grip and barrel are not to be compared to a rifle.

What do you guys think about that? Any comments?

6.5 Grendel on top, 8.6 blackout on the bottom. My intention is to fire these off a bipod on a bench, or a tripod in the field.

86-pistol-65-pistol.jpg

300 blackout on top, 8.6 blackout on the bottom. NOTE: I have other receivers, but they're rifles. These were built and put together as pistols, never intended to fire from the shoulder.

86-pistol-300-pistol.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2023

My 6.5 Grendel Pistol with the newly received SixFixOutfitter/Rexus Ultraslim brake. The only thing I can think of that would be nice is the newer washerless nut like they use on the Faxon brakes. No tools needed in the field. I don't plan to take this off my Grendel, so this shouldn't be a problem.

65-grendel-pistol.jpg

I was previously using this 30 cal klunker on my 6.5 Grendel Pistol.

outlier-30-cal-brake.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X