• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v4lu3s
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2023

First 6.5 build

I have been building Ar pattern rifles for about 15 years, and currently have them in 9mm, .223/5.56, 300 BLK, 7.62x39, 22LR, and 308 Winchester. Off and on I have looked at doing a 6.5 or 6.8 build. Then a few months ago I took the Sons Of Liberty Gunworks AR-15 Armorors class, and it included a lower....I now had an excuse.
    Typically, I am pretty generic on most parts, using Toolcraft BCGs, Faxon or Ballistic Advantage barrels, a decent trigger and not worrying a lot about the rest.

This build ended up a bit higher quality than my norm:
    SOLGW Angry Patriot Lower
    SOLGW Upper
    SOLGW Competition Trigger
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Odinworks set: 20 inch 6.5 barrel, adjustable gas block, Odinworks BCG
    Odinworks Rune handguard
    Larue Apeg grip
    CMC lower parts kit
    BCM SOPMOD Mod 2 stock
    BCM MK2 Mod1 T2, that's the 5.6 oz buffer weight
    Midwest Industries 20 MOA 30mm scope mount
    Burris Veracity PH 4-20x50 scope
    Magpul Bipod
    YHM QD mount for my Resonator suppressor

Assembly was nothing tricky EXCEPT the weird 2 part system that Odinworks did for the barrel nut. You have an alignment block that you use a pin to line up with the BCG so that gas tube is aligned perfectly, and this block threads onto the upper receiver. Then there is a second nut that you actually torque to spec to secure the barrel. I am used to the vagueries of shims and fighting with the alignment if it is needed. Aside from being weird it works though.

I picked up 2 boxes of Hornady black for break in, then a box of Hornady SST, then stopped because I was waiting on 200 rounds of Hornady Frontier. It started at 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards, then as I started shooting the less accurate Frontier FMJ it tightened up each time I shot, where I am seeing 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. As I accumulate brass I am preparing for a handload with CFE223 and 123gr SSTs, though I also have a little bit of H335 to test.

I have really enjoyed this rifle so far, and hopefully it can become my go to daytime hunting rifle.
  • Mark611
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Very good, I have a question, does your gas block have a set screw to hold the gas adjustment screw in place? my new OW gas block does not have a set screw!

Comment

• v4lu3s
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2023

No set screw. I definitely have mixed feelings about adjustable gas blocks this is my second rifle to have one. I do like this one that I can access the gas block from the front of the other one you have to kind of sneak in through an opening in the handguard on the side. Neither of them have any kind of set screw or click type adjustment. I haven't had any issues yet but I just accept it that I have traded reliability for adjustability.

Comment

Working...
      X