• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fshaw
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2023

Bolt Gun Build

I'm obviously new here, but have been a shooter and reloader for many (many) years. I appreciate what you all do here regarding the Grendel. I have a Howa Mini 22" barreled action on order with Brownell's and will purchase a JO hinged floor plate. That leaves me to make the decision about a stock. The rifle will be used for informal target shooting and as a lightweight hunting rifle for whitetails in the Adirondack forest. I'm most interested in making a lightweight rifle that's as accurate as can be given the components assembled. The two stocks I'm most interested in are the Pendleton and Stocky's. A replacement trigger will likely come down the road.

For those who have experience with both stocks, do you have a clear preference in terms of initial fit and quality? Would one of the two stocks be quieter in the hunting environment? I've had factory plastic stocks that are loud if they get slapped by brush. The Adirondacks are thick mature forest so this is common. I have closed cell foam that can be cut and shaped to fill a hollow butt stock to help in this regard. Are one of the two stiffer than the other and do the stocks typically come in at advertised weight? While this is obviously a very individual thing, do one of the two stocks stand out in terms of ergos? I'm 6'1" tall with long arms. While I want a very light hunting rifle, I don't want it to feel like a child's .22lr.

I appreciate your help and look forward to this project. Years ago (long before the 6ARC) I wanted to build a 6PPC repeater to hunt deer with. At that time there were no actions that would reliably feed the PPC and I didn't want to build a single shot. I ended up rebarreling a Sako Vixen to 6x45 and have really enjoyed that rifle. I guess I'll satisfy my PPC desire with the Grendel.

Best regards and thanks again.

Frank Shaw
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

I have a Pendleton stock on my Grendel bolt gun. It's a good stock but my 20" heavy barreled action didn't fit. The barrel channel was too narrow. I had to open up the channel to get it to fit. I also did a little bedding at the recoil lug & action tang areas. Your 22" barreled action oughta fit though. It is light but I think the Stocky's carbon fiber stock might be even lighter. A Bell & Carlson stock is another option.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Frank,
      this one:

that's what I ended up with on my 22" howa mini sporter. really makes the rifle light as it should be for the size of cartridge it's shooting. 16 oz stock if I remember correctly. the whole rig (rifle + scope + sling) is under 7lb. I also used the JO Orbendorf bottom metal and really like that too.

I gave this stock a camo paint job. i am pleased how it turned out but the camo looks are not for everyone, and that fine, i get it.

best to you,
      -tdbru

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

Frank,
        P.S. call Stocky's and see if they are still selling Blems'. Mine was a blem and cheaper than the new one by (at the time) ~$150. It had a few surface pin holes, which I didn't care about because I planned on painting it anyway.

I think you'll be impressed with the deer prowess of the 6.5G for no more than it dishes out in recoil, which is not much. Of course run a good bullet. But most bullets do pretty well at these speeds. browse through the hunting section and you'll note that there are a wide variety of bullets that seem to make everyone happy. and kill deer.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Fshaw
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2023

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a Pendleton stock in black with grey webbing and am on the notify list for a JO hinged floor plate. Barreled action should arrive today. Did your actions lose the "zipper" feel over time just by working the action or did you do some bolt sanding and polishing? Brass, shell holder and dies next.

Comment

Working...
          X