Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Billet upper question....

I am considering building a "Grendel Sniper" with the Alexander Arms BILLET UPPER.

I notice that its advertised to NOT be used with the Beowulf... So i am wondering if its maybe too weak for that round... And if that is the case, if it is a solid enough platform for a long sniper barrel...

Thanks
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My guess is that the Beowulf needs a larger ejection port, which might explain the exclusion.
    Drifter

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      My guess is that the Beowulf needs a larger ejection port, which might explain the exclusion.
      this- beo uppers are modified with an enlarged ejection port.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

That is good news if that is indeed the case... I love that upper concept.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

My Sniper 28" is rock solid! The Billet uppers are stiff, and the port is the reason for the anti-Beo statement.
          Last edited by bwaites; 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

If you buy one you wont be dissapointed!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Here ya go!

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Nice! Those look just like my Mega upper. I wonder it they come from the same place.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Mega Machine makes the Billet upper (for AA) with the National Match Side charging handle and bolt carrier (Made for AA) made by Thompson Machine (If I remember correctly)? You can go to http://www.rainierarms.com and look at all the items you are asking about and call them, Lars will answer the phone and he can answer just about any question you have about the billet upper you are looking for..
                  But I'm with the other guys on here and agree it's the size of the ejection port that's probably too small. I have one and it would hold up a 57 Chevy if there was a way too attach it ;-). It really is thick tough and heavy, and out it is absolutely Awesome!!! Precision Firearms makes a really nice Billet upper, I have one of those too and I ordered the slick sided Billet upper with out The forward assist and dust cover because I'm shooting from a bench usually and I don't roll around in the sand or mud anymore. ;-) . It's a really nice upper too..

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

I am going with the lar grizzley side charging upper on my build I decide to go with the grizzley since it was the only side charger I found that deleted the charging handle and did not have an opening on the left side of the upper so there will be no problem with face gasing especially in suppressed applications
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Just curious- why do you not want a charging handle? I still use both even with the side charger.
                      Last edited by txgunner00; 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

The LAR Grizzly is a good one too & they have the Grendel & Socom too, don't waste the money on a Billet from them, because their forged is just as good as their Billet upper, if you call and ask their Gunsmith he will even tell you that if you ask him. Just don't get the LAR OPS 4 Ambidextrous if your going to shoot suppressed because it will blow too much gas back & you may have trouble with cycling issues. I have ar right handed upper & an ambi & I found out about the ambi the hard way, but they have an excellent upper & they are built tough too. I'm using my LAR Opps 4 uppers for a 300 Blackout and the other is set up as a 223 Wylde and they work great!

Comment

With a properly built side charging upper you won't bed a regular charging handle to

I have my side charging National Match Mega upper (same as the AA side charging upper) with the Charging handle (Removed) and hole plugged, it keeps gases from escaping and just improves the over all appearance of the upper! Go back and look at thepictures of my rifle pictures somewhere on this forum and look at the difference. I think it's much better looking.

Comment

I kept the rear charging handle on mine. Lets say the side charging handle breaks or you lose it. If you still have the back one you can still charge the weapon. Not only that you can charge it using your left hand if you still have the back handle as well. Its really all personal preference. But i like having the fall back option.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                              I kept the rear charging handle on mine. Lets say the side charging handle breaks or you lose it. If you still have the back one you can still charge the weapon. Not only that you can charge it using your left hand if you still have the back handle as well. Its really all personal preference. But i like having the fall back option.
                              Same here. In fact, when shooting long range, I don't have the side charger installed. I've found its a little more accurate without it. Of course, that could all be in my head!

Comment

Working...
                              X