12.5 " barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12.5 " barrel

will a midlegnth gas system work with a 12. 5 inch barrel? I have a 18 I was thinking of cutting down.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

It should if you get the gas port size correct. You probably will need a larger port to compensate for decreased dwell time. Reliability may suffer as a result though.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I would prefer a CLGS for a 12.5" gun, not MLGS. Leave the 18" or sell it to get the 12.5" if you want it that bad. An 18" barrel will sell like crack right now, but I wouldn't let it go personally. I've been wanting an 18" for a long time, but settled for a 16" years ago.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I agree. You might trade it for a 16" if you don't want the 18". That way your out of pocket is the same to cut it to the length you want and reliability will be better.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I hear what your saying. I have another 18 in the works from Templar. I picked this barrel up cheap on ARFCOM. looked around and even finding a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system is hard. Every thing is midlength. Its an idea though. Ill post a trade and see what happens.

Comment

If I were you, I would look around for a burnt .264" bore pipe from one of the competitive shooters that runs 6.5x284, .260 Rem, or something like that. I bet if you PM'd stokesrj, he could point you in the right direction.

Take that barrel, have it cut and re-profiled to your liking, threaded for a quality AR15 barrel extension, and drive on from there. It will be a shooter if it was on a match gun, and a competent smith turns it true on the spin axis of the lathe, without inducing heat stress.

Another option would to be just getting a barrel blank from Brownell's and starting from scratch. Cutting a 16" CLGS would be the cheapest route, other than getting a new 12.5" pipe.

Comment

The 6.8 and Grendel are different beasts, but they are quasi similar

I have a 12.5 inch 6.8 with Mid gas, it function perfect, but it does look weird with the gas block 1 inch away from the muzzle device.

In my 12.5 inch 6.8, factory SSA 85TSX shoots 2900 fps, same ammo in a 16 inch 6.8 is 3000. I suspect the #s will be close between a 16 inch Grendel and a 12.5 Grendel. Anyone have a link to 12.5 Grendel ballistics(I've seen an AA pdf before, I'll search for that) I have an 18 inch 264, next one I'm going longer.

Cool project, short barrels are very handy.

Comment

Well I did it, chrono'd at 2275fps with factory Hornady 123 Amaxs.

Comment

What gas port diameter did you go with, and is it running reliably? That is a MLGS, correct?

Comment

Not, sure if ADCO modified the GP or not, only ran 10 rounds total (5 Wolf MPT & 5 Hornady 123 AMAXs). put all spent brass @2:30 about 3ft away. 34 deg and windy. Correct MLGS.

Comment

Working...
                    X