• KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

That sounds like very wise advice.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Well, now. My prom date is suddenly looking rather plain. That is a sweet looking piece of optical wizardry there, Kohoki.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I am really missing the "Like" button right next to the "Reply" menue!

@KentuckyBuddha
        In the eighties, I wasn't allowed to drive a car
        Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I summarized all my products for you:

6.5mm Grendel List.pdf

Comment

Hi guys,

I have been on the range today and tried the following loads with similar results on paper:

Load 1 - 25 rounds, 5 rounds each group
            Hornady Case
            CCI 450 Primer
            27.0 grs VV N140
            123 grs. Lapua GB489 Bullet
            O.A.L. 57.0 mm / 2.244"

Load 2 - 25 rounds, 5 rounds each group
            Hornady Case
            CCI 450 Primer
            27.5 grs IMR 4895
            123 grs. Sierra Match King #1727
            O.A.L. 57.0 mm / 2.244"

Load 3 - 15 rounds, 5 rounds each group
            Hornady Factory 123 grs. Ballistic Tip

I cleaned the barrel after the first 25 rounds on the range. I am keeping a logbook for that rifle which shows that I shot 83 rounds cumultative. All 5 Shot groups were about 30 to 50 mm (1.18" to 1.96") wide. They were getting tighter after cleaning.

Is there a recommended precision load for the 6.5 Grendel you would suggest me to try out? Shall I change to lighter bullets? What load has proven ultra accurate?
            Or shall I wait until the barrels running in process is completed (after about 200 rounds)?

Please remember, the barrel has a twist of 1/8 an is 20" long.

Please let me know your precision load data.

Thank you very much in advance!

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Factory 123 grain Hornady A max and SST ammo have shot excellent in my rifles. 27.8 grains of IMR 8028 XBR powder with 123 grain Sierra match Kings, Hornady 123 grain SST and A Max bullets have shot very good with my AA and Lilja barrels. I use Lapua brass and Hornady brass. All these loads shoot sub MOA in my rifles. I would have to say the Hornady 123 A Max ammo is the standard for factory ammo to use.

Comment

• ejkoechling
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kohoki View Post
                Here comes a pic of the freshly lasered FailZero Bolt Carrier:

The whole rifle will be a hommage to the Grendel Forum, the Grendel head will be found on several parts
                I would like to laser that Grendel skull into my new lower receiver, would someone be so kind and provide a .dxf, .ai or .eps file? Your help is highly appreciated!!Thanks in advance!

I'd assume you got this file , with it being on your bolt. I was wanting to do the same on dust cover and my AA lower.
                Also, who did the ecthing for you?

Any info you could pass on would be appreciated.

Comment

@Montana
                  Do you mean 8208 XBR?

I am looking for the absolute top notch load, like 42 grs VV N140 for the 168grs SMK @308 Win.

Shall I go for a lighter bullet like 90 grs. or shall I try heavier bullets like the 136 grs Lapua? Whats more promising, heavier or lighter? Faster or slower?
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Yes I did, my mistake. It is IMR8208 XBR. There has been a lot of information on this forum with people trying to find the best universal 6.5 Grendel load. I have tried some peoples pet loads with dismal results and some with excellent results. I have not tried CFE223 powder as to date but many people have had great luck with it. I would have to say the best round to date for most peoples rifles is the factory Hornady 123 grain Amax. This round has shot as good as most of my personal loads and seems to be the best in most peoples rifles as far as a universal round to compare ones load to. A lot of people have had good luck using the 120 grain Sierra match king bullet and seems to be more consistent as compared to the 123smk grain bullet . The best load for you would be determined by what distance you plan on shooting from and what you tend to shoot at. The Grendel reloading manuals both one and two are a great place to start if you haven't purchased them yet. Mine or other peoples pet loads may or may not be the best for your rifle. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it is the best advice I can give to you from my experience.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Kohoki View Post
                      @Montana
                      Do you mean 8208 XBR?

I am looking for the absolute top notch load, like 42 grs VV N140 for the 168grs SMK @308 Win.

Shall I go for a lighter bullet like 90 grs. or shall I try heavier bullets like the 136 grs Lapua? Whats more promising, heavier or lighter? Faster or slower?
                      With your location, I'd give some N540 a try with the 123+gr projectiles. I'd love to try it with the 140gr bullets, but the stuff is rarer than hen's teeth in the states.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

CFE 223 starting at 28 grains and working up to around 31.5 grains under a 123 Amax is really tough to beat. XBR 8208 at 26 working up to 28.5 is a great load as well.

120 Nosler BT over 29-31 grains of BLC-2 is a great load.

(The VV load for 168 SMK's doesn't shoot so good in the .308's I've tried, but for some its almost like magic. I've given up on there being a universally good load.)

I do agree that the Hornady factory load is the closest I've seen for the Grendel!

Comment

Thank you all for these first hints! I will definately tryout the CFE. Do manufacture your handloads to max. allowable case length (57,40mm/2,259")?

I do have 200 Lapua Scenar-L bullets available 4PL6019 GB546 136 grs.

I will definately setup some loading ladders next weekend according to both reloading manuals.

What do you say to these ladders:

123 grs. Lapua Scenar
                          Hornady Case
                          CCI450 Primer
                          COAL: 57,10mm
                          Powder: CFE223
                          five rounds each:
                          28,0 grs
                          28,5 grs
                          29,0 grs
                          29,5 grs
                          30,0 grs

123. grs Sierra MatchKing
                          Alexander Arms Case
                          CCI450
                          Powder: BLC-2
                          five rounds each:
                          28,0 grs
                          28,5 grs
                          29,0 grs
                          29,5 grs
                          30,0 grs

136 grs. Lapua Scenar-L123 grs.Hornady AMAX
                          Hornady Case
                          CCI450
                          Powder: CFE223
                          five rounds each:
                          28,0 grs
                          28,5 grs
                          29,0 grs
                          29,5 grs
                          30,0 grs
                          30,5 grs
                          31,0 grs
                          31,5 grs
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Does anyone of you guys own one of these HIPERTOUCH triggers? I installed a Wilson Combat 3G TTU in The Grendel but I am experiencing a light pre-travel with that trigger - should I switch to the HIPERFIRE 24C? What are your experiences?

Comment

Done, changed the Wilson Combat 3G TTU to the Hiperfire 24C:

[/URL]

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

Please tell us what you think!

Comment

Working...
                                X