My First Grendel, barrel recommendations in 18-20" please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevegun 1

My First Grendel, barrel recommendations in 18-20" please.

I would like to know who people feel are the top five manufacturers for barrels in Grendel are. Also, who might sell their barrel with a headspaced bolt? Recommended bolt carriers for this AR15 project wil be helpful. Twist rate? I think I would like to shoot towards the heavier end of the 6.5 bullets but I want to be able to shoot 123's as well. Rifle or mid length gas port and what size should the port be for each length. I can always buy a blank, profile it and get a reamer from PTG, but I'd like to see what's available off the shelf and in STOCK! Thanks in advance for any help you send my way, Steve
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I would consider Satern among the best cut-rilfed Grendel barrels. Of course, Krieger is tough to beat if you decide to start with a blank. There are others, but most consider cut-rifling to be the best option for accuracy and longevity (although at a higher price tag).

Go with midlength gas on an 18", and rifle-length on a 20". An adjustable gas block will usually make the gas port hole size less critical.

Twist rates in the 1:8.5 to 1:8.75 range seem to work well for most applications, but I've shot barrels from 1:7.5 to 1:9 with good results.

As for high-quality barrels in stock, that could be a challenge...
    Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Welcome, and good luck with your build!

For cut barrels I would contact Templar Custom and Precision Firearms to see what they have available.

Finding quality blanks is a lesson in frustration all by itself!

Comment

I own a satern and highly recommend one, but I must say I'm getting an itch for a bartlien 24 from precision firearms!

Comment

In addition to a quality barrel, you will want to make sure a quality barrel extension is used, as the larger diameter of the Grendel case requires precise dimensions of the ID of the teeth in the extension. It doesn't make a bit of difference on a .223-based case, but does with the Grendel and 7.62x39 guns, maybe even the 6.8's. You'll see a lot of partial battery FTFeeds if the ID of the el cheepo extension is out of whack, since the extractor has to snap over a larger case, and can arrest on the ID of the teeth of an oblong barrel extension.

For cut-rifled pipes made in Grendel by current manufacturers:

Templar & Precision Firearms
          Not sure if JP uses cut-rifled pipes, but they shoot.
          Not sure if Loki uses cut-rifled pipes either, but they use high-end components.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Gentlemen, a thank you to those who have responded thus far! What about Alexander Arms barrels, and why have they chossen 1-9" twist for their 20" barrels? "Heavy" carriers seem to found nowhere. I'm now sure that I what to go with a 20" barrel. Thank you again, Steve.

Comment

just keep looking for parts. Im sure guys on here will pipe up if they have seen anything. There are a lot of shortages right now so good luck.

Comment

Hart makes exceptional barrels and might be worthy of your consideration as well.

Comment

AA offers great barrels, but I thought there was a stipulation for cut-rifled. As I see no such thing in the OP, put AA on the list. I have a relatively lightweight 16" button-rifled AA that shoots .79 MOA with factory ammo for 4-round groups. I mounted it in a new upper, so I will do a whole new set of load development with it to find the accuracy nodes with my handloads. It produces velocities close to 24" data with factory ammo from Precision Firearms, which really surprised me.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Thanks guys, keep it coming, my knowledge base is growing with each response. Steven at AA told me this morning that they are in the 10-12 week range at his best guess. Any comments on the 6.5 Grendel chamber verses the 264 LBC? I still haven't found a bare upper of any worth in stock anywhere yet. I'm emailing kreiger to get a lead time on a blank. I really appreciate all the help and time you have given to a fellow who is new to this forum and caliber, please keep it coming. Even with crazy lead times, I'm setting my jaw to make this build. Steve

Comment

AA is def. a top tier producer. The lead times are growing everywhere, but thats to be expected with the election looming ahead. As far as Grendel vs. LBC, the grendel should be more forgiving with a wide range of projos. I have seen groups from LBC's that are great,mostly with the 123 A-Max it was supposedly designed for. All grendels Ive seen have been exceptionally accurate as well, with everything from 100 gr. up to 130's. I dont have any personal exp. with the grendel yet, just rehashing alot of info Ive gleaned from here. Oh, check out Bwilds chrony reports thread, he shoots a "junky" shaw as ive heard them called. If thats junk, Ill take three of em! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                        AA is def. a top tier producer. The lead times are growing everywhere, but thats to be expected with the election looming ahead. As far as Grendel vs. LBC, the grendel should be more forgiving with a wide range of projos. I have seen groups from LBC's that are great,mostly with the 123 A-Max it was supposedly designed for. All grendels Ive seen have been exceptionally accurate as well, with everything from 100 gr. up to 130's. I dont have any personal exp. with the grendel yet, just rehashing alot of info Ive gleaned from here. Oh, check out Bwilds chrony reports thread, he shoots a "junky" shaw as ive heard them called. If thats junk, Ill take three of em! LOL
                        Either chamber will work. Ive shot 123 amax AND smk's into the .3's. Just started to tinker with 107 smks and they show great potential at 500 ( only distance I shot them at ) with no load work up.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Keep it coming guys, I'm learning more with each post. How about LAR standard uppers? Steve

Comment

• stevegun 1

Update: I have a BCM upper and a Shilen 1-8" unturned blank on the way. Thanks to Sherry at Shilen, helpfull, knowledgeable and very friendly, it should ship this coming week. It was too late to catch Dave at PTG for a reamer so that'll have to wait. Still looking for the 7.62 Bolt Head and a heavy carrier. I'm thinking that I'll make this one a 18" with a mid-length gas port unless I hear any good objections. The hunt continues, 6.5 before Xmas or bust. Steve
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Friday, Dave at PTG told me to go with the 264 LBC reamer, he's not been wrong for me yet. Blank came in from Shilen, days not months, yeah! 1.250 OD is a chunk of steel. I'm final on an 18" mid length, gas block and forearm thoughts please? Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X