My latest creation...and now I'm dealing with disappointment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest creation...and now I'm dealing with disappointment.

IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1045.jpgSo Sunday comes and I'm pumped about taking my latest creation to the range.

22" 6.5 CSS threaded LW barrel (kit)
    AA Side charging billet upper w/ BCG
    Midwest Industries Gen 2 Handguard
    NF 5.5-22x56 on leupold xhigh rings

Now the problem. Dang thing wouldn't go into battery. Did some research and it would appear common issue for CSS due to short chamber.

Insert disappointment. No response from CSS yet.

I've built 2 other Grendels (16" for self and 20" for buddy). Been building AR's for years and this is the first problem I personally couldn't solve.

Called Mark @ Precision Firearms. Nice guy. Familiar with the problems I'm dealing with and said he can fix it. Guess I get to tear it all back apart and spend some more money. Boy what fun! Looking at 3 weeks turn around from Mark. At least it's a solution.

Quick update: Just got an email from Tom @ CSS.

"You are saying that the bolt did not close on the round. If so, send the bolt back to Lothar Walther, They will have it two days and send it back."

No address to send it to or anything else. Hmmmm. Okay.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I believe CSS has offered barrels with different style bolts. One might be typical bolt face recess (~0.125"?) and the other might be Grendel-type (~0.136"?). If it was headspaced for a Grendel-style bolt and they sent the other style bolt, that could potentially be the issue.

Do you have a way to measure the bolt face recess? That measurement alone might indicate whether it's the bolt or maybe something else (like the chamber).

Originally posted by MstMike View Post
      I've built 2 other Grendels (16" for self and 20" for buddy). Been building AR's for years and this is the first problem I personally couldn't solve.
      Or try your Grendel bolt in your CSS barrel to see if it will close on a dummy cartridge.
      Last edited by Drifter; 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM.
      Drifter

Comment

Thanks Drifter.
        I have some calipers...
        Emailed LW and got a quick response from Woody. He said, "The AA design for the bolt is the issue. The extractor is relieved. It has a much tougher spring on it too. You can look at the back of the extractor and see if there are any polish marks on either side of the lug on it."
        My worry is a short chamber. I will be FedEx'ing the bolt in the morning. Woody claimed a couple day turn around. I will be looking for binding in the extractor this evening when I get home from work. I'll switch bolts and check that too. LOL I should have checked that at the dang range! LOL
        Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Works great in the many tens of thousands of guns I build. Obviously I must not understand.

Comment

it's kind of funny in a way Mr. Alexander you get the credit and the blame for any problem with a statement like "The AA design for the bolt is the issue." I guess if my cell phone doesn't work it's Alexander G. Bell's fault. Tens of thousands work and one maybe doesn't (or the problem maybe something else) so it's said you screwed up. you've got to admit that's kind of funny. Anyway thanks again for the input you gave me on my problem it fixed the issue for me.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
              Works great in the many tens of thousands of guns I build. Obviously I must not understand.
              Yeah, get with the program, Bill! ; )
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                Yes sir Mr Alexander it does. I don't put much credibility in his suggestion that your design is flawed BTW but I guess I don't have any other choice but to try and work with them. Since my problem arose, my researce suggests a failure on CSS/LW might be closer to the truth. I thoroughly enjoy my 16" AA barreled rifle but was looking for a longer match grade barrel for this build. This does NOT reflect negatively on AA.

I would have preferred one from the AA shop. I promise.

Comment

If the bolt is bad send it to me. I have a barrel waiting on a bolt.LOL. Seriously though, hope you get it worked out.

Comment

I'm getting the gut feeling that I should just send my entire upper to someone vs sending my bolt to Woody. I read another post that someone was dealing with same problems and was jacked around for months prior to the issue getting resolved. Any suggestions?

Comment

Have you employed Drifters advice by swapping the BCG for the LW barrel with one of your other 6.5 Grendel BCG's?

Comment

+1 on drifter and Bwilds advice. then I would probably send it to PF. I read somewhere on this forum that someone sent their bolt back to CSS and were waiting for A WHILE.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Originally posted by grin&dull View Post
                          it's kind of funny in a way Mr. Alexander you get the credit and the blame for any problem with a statement like "The AA design for the bolt is the issue." I guess if my cell phone doesn't work it's Alexander G. Bell's fault. Tens of thousands work and one maybe doesn't (or the problem maybe something else) so it's said you screwed up. you've got to admit that's kind of funny. Anyway thanks again for the input you gave me on my problem it fixed the issue for me.
                          I get a giggle out of it!

Comment

Mr. Alexander - I actually laughed out loud when I read the email from Woody blaming AA design flaw. Glad you have maintained a sense of humor. I would have been offended. Thank you for your imput on this forum sir. I love seeing you involved on this level.

Swapped out BCGs this morning (M16 BCG w/ AA bolt). Successful lockup on sling shot and bolt release but extraction very difficult. No apparent contact with the lands. I'm going to send the entire upper assembly to Mark @ Precision Firearms unless you guys have a better suggestion for a shop.

Comment

Okay. I just FedEx'd the upper to Mark at PF. Let's see what happens next.

Comment

Working...
                              X