Lightweight hand guard suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DHumbarger

Can carbon fiber be drilled with regular twist drills or must an end cutting end mill be used? I figure I could get that 6 oz handguard down to about 4 oz with some ventilation holes or maybe even slots.

Comment

• leopard6.5

DHumbarger: Carbon fiber can be drilled using regular drills but you want to be very careful with the drilled out pieces because they can be very sharp.

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Looking to assemble another Grendel, this one based off of a Satern Ultralight barrel (14.5" rifling w/integral flash hider).

Looking at handguard options...I know the AA Mk-10 are lightweight, just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Noveske NSR hand guards, specifically the NSR 11".

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=
        The length of the barrel nut makes me think that would be one seriously stout setup. Also the barrel nut is tightened with a crow foot wrench, very unique and a much better way to tighten the nut in my opinion. I only wish I could afford the NSR.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'm a fan of AP Customs. Their carbon-fiber handguards are damn near weightless. I built a svelt little 5.56 AR for my son and the thing feels like it weighs 5lbs. The downside is no upper rail for BUIS, but I'm tinkering with the idea of glassing a short Magpul rail onto the tube for this purpose. Should be easy enough to do provided I'm careful to get the alignment correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
            I'm a fan of AP Customs. Their carbon-fiber handguards are damn near weightless. I built a svelt little 5.56 AR for my son and the thing feels like it weighs 5lbs. The downside is no upper rail for BUIS, but I'm tinkering with the idea of glassing a short Magpul rail onto the tube for this purpose. Should be easy enough to do provided I'm careful to get the alignment correct.

http://www.apcustomusa.com/ar15.html
            Those look nice, do they have anyway to attach short rails into those slots?

Never mind I see further down the web page they offer them.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Schwag...those APs look awesome...now my leading candidate. I didn't see a barrel nut mentioned. Does it come with barrel nut?
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Schwag...those APs look awesome...now my leading candidate. I didn't see a barrel nut mentioned. Does it come with barrel nut?
                No, and you need to have a standard AR barrel nut. The AP comes with a machined 'trunion' that locks onto the barrel nut, then the carbon-fiber tube is attached to the trunion with 3 screws. I took a chance and ordered this AP instead of opting for one of the tubes out there that have to be glued, because I didn't want glue. I am SO happy I did. Like I said, and even with the trunion, the AP setup is damned near weightless and feels solid. The AP comes in 4 sizes; carbine, mid-length, rifle and 15-inch. They are sized with the standard front sight/gas block in mind so if you want to shroud low-profile gas blocks as I did you'll need to order the next size up. I mounted a mid-length tube on a carbine ported barrel and have a rifle tube awaiting a mid-length ported barrel.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

I picked up a PRI delta float tube for my grendel build its light but also built like a tank
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Nice looking h/g...but I don't think I like having to glue the tube to the barrel nut.
                    Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
                    the glue is NBD. I just used gorilla glue. If you need to take the tube off in the future, you just use a strap wrench... usually the glue will break.
                    Not to resurrect an old thread...but thought I would post a quick tip for removing Carbon Fiber tubes that get glued / epoxied on. This tip came from Andy at Black Hole Weaponry. Basically, stick your upper in the freezer for a day or two to let it get real cold, then take it out and tap on the carbon fiber tube around where it is glued. The glue will pop itself free. Of course, carbon fiber is stronger than steel, so no real worries there.

Thought that was an awesome suggestion...and felt I'd share it with the rest of you. Never heard anyone mention this method...if it's repetitive, well, apologies.

Comment

• ericv
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2011

I have made a few of these, very sturdy and strong. I can make any length you need and the guard is not glued to the nut. It is easily installed and removed when needed.

Eric
                      Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                      www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• ericv
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2011

Here are some more pics.

Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                        www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

I'm torn between 10" and 12" MI Gen II SS versus 12.5" AA Mk10. I'm planning on using the Syrac adjustable gas block with front gas adjustments. The 10" h/g should just cover block while have to reach in for the 12" or 12.5" in order to adjust the gas block.

In the meantime, this arrived in mail today from Satern (Woohoo!):
                          Here's the 10" Midwest gen 2 on my 5.56. I've got a serious case of barrel envy, how long was the wait to get it?

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-ZG(Zombie-Gun)

Comment

Working...
                          X